mysterious plants .....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tillandsia usneoides

I like the plant as such: it grows to monster size with the years. I have some of them in my gh as companions for my mounted catts and relatives. Till. usneoides easily gorws down to the gh-floor. But the event occurs when the plant flowers: you smell a really lovely fragrance, first not knowing where it comes from :) ! the blooms are so tiny!! 2-4 mm ! Jean

taken today:

Jean

Jean - is this in the family that we would commonly call Spanish Moss?
If so, I didn't know it had a fragrance but then again I don't live in the south!:p I like it! :clap:

I have Spanish Moss growing in my greenhouse for several years now. It was used as a top dressing on a plant that I bought at an orchid show eyars ago. It's been growing nicely ever since! I haven't noticed flowers on it though, but there have been times when I've detected a fragrance but couldn't locate its source.

This is a very interesting thread.. How did I miss it? I agree that rafflesia is one of the weirdest plants on Earth, but my personal choice for most mysterious plant goes to the desert plant Welwitschia mirabilis. Really looks like a face-sucking alien species.. :p

To me its the Rafflesia arnolidii, the largest single flower in the world. It is a parasite on certain type of woody vine. The flower stink like carrion and takes 10 months for the flower to develop. The buds just comes out from the body of the host plant and the parasite lives in the host plant just like the movie aliens. It is found from southeren Thailand to southern Philippines.

rafflesia-arnoldii-largest-flower.jpg

Ramon:)

Tha Ramones hold together... this is also my plant of choice... :)

Those ramones are a different story... (never liked them!)

I was talking about rdlsreno and myself... Ramón & Ramón

The only thing mysterious about this is how close it was growing
to the coral root, within 12 ft. Spiranthes??

Two seperate plants, the latter was trampled but was easy to photograph
with the wind blowing. Thanks for looking.

The only thing mysterious about this is how close it was growing
to the coral root, within 12 ft. Spiranthes??

<snip>

Two seperate plants, the latter was trampled but was easy to photograph
with the wind blowing. Thanks for looking.

Not Spiranthes, maybe a Platanthera or Habenaria or Piperia. What state was the picture taken in?

Yellowstone NP, Wyoming 3rd week of June
At the moment, I am willing to rule out Platanthera.

This definitely is a Piperia, looks like it could be candida. Only problem, the only Piperia listed for Wyoming is unalascensis, and it is definitely not unalascensis.

Back