mysterious plants .....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Tyrone got me started! Thought this might make an interesting thread! OK now I'm curious - is there a plant/flower that comes to your mind as being mysterious? and why?

Without a doubt, Monotropa uniflora and hypopithys...they're mycorrhizal "parasites" and have no chlorophyll, so they're ghostly pale (and bruise black). The shape is certainly mysterious as well, and of course they grow in dark places.

One entire family that come to mind is carnivorous Droseraceae. Sundews (Drosera), VFTs (Dionaea muscipula), and waterwheels plants (Aldrovanda sp.). It's amazing that Drosera and the other two belong in the same family. It's also neet to see the type of aquatic common ancestor that gave rise to Aldrovanda and Dionaea.

Another is Socratea exorrhiza, the walking palm of tropical America. these are awesome 'cause they can actually move slowly by the growth and death of large above ground root/trunk? structures, to fill canopy gaps faster than other tree species seedling can. how cool is that?

I guess they're all cool 'cause they can move, for different reasons, distances, and speeds, but they all can move.

Forrest

This is indeed a cool idea for a thread. I have to also add Brugmansia, Datura and Mandragora...I've long been enchanted by the first two, mostly because of their appearance and nocturnal characteristics. The third is wonderfully creepy and also comes up in a lot in folklore. The gardens here has some wonderful Brugmansia that are currently in bloom (I was admiring them on Saturday) and I nearly bought Datura seeds when we were trying to close on a home a few years ago because I was so excited at the prospect of being able to start a moon garden (didn't happen).

Last edited:
Be careful around Brugmansia and Datura. They are extremely toxic. I have a couple of Brugmansia plants in my yard. Very pretty flowers. Just be sure to wash your hands after handling them.

Be careful around Brugmansia and Datura. They are extremely toxic. I have a couple of Brugmansia plants in my yard. Very pretty flowers. Just be sure to wash your hands after handling them.

Thank you. :) I'd already vowed to keep them out of my mouth unless under the careful supervision of a South American shaman.

Thank you. :) I'd already vowed to keep them out of my mouth unless under the careful supervision of a South American shaman.

Nonsense! After pruning my brugs I always follow up with a large meal of sushi - eaten by hand of course! Amazing that people every year still try to use this plant as a hallucinogen...way too dangerous.

My vote for one of the weirdest plants is the bizarre "underground orchid", Rhizanthella gardneri. This Australian terrestrial actually never sees the light of day, spending its entire life below the surface, even the flower! It is an ectoparasite (or if you prefer, mycoheterotroph) on a mycorrhiza fungus which in turn is connected to tree roots, a species of Melaleuca. Definitely a weirdo!

:D This is fun! Most of them mentioned, I find as curious & interesting. It really boils down to what your perception of 'mysterious' is!
I like the fact that Tom gave us a link, that's definitely mysterious!
Now I'm gonna go check out socratea & mandragora!
Keep 'em coming! :clap:

One of my favorite mysterious (or at least oddball) plants is Dodder (Cuscuta species). This leafless parasitic morning glory relative looks creepy and sinister as it entwines and strangles the host plant. Watching it take over a bed of Impatiens one summer was like a slow motion nightmare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodder

Last edited:
We came across this 'mystery' plant hiking out of state.
I always thought it was some type of coral root orchid.

Attachments

• Yellowstone CP 141x1x.jpg
    Yellowstone CP 141x1x.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 24
I find most Aroids being rather mysterious!!! I will check for some more to add...!!!

To me its the Rafflesia arnolidii, the largest single flower in the world. It is a parasite on certain type of woody vine. The flower stink like carrion and takes 10 months for the flower to develop. The buds just comes out from the body of the host plant and the parasite lives in the host plant just like the movie aliens. It is found from southeren Thailand to southern Philippines.

rafflesia-arnoldii-largest-flower.jpg

Ramon:)

Ramon, those are absolutely gorgeous pictures of the Rafflesia. gosh, u make it sound so painful, LoL!! The buds just comes out from the body of the host plant **shivers** can't imagine how it might feel to be ripped apart from the inside T^T too scary to imagine.

i also second Rafflesia as my favorite weird plant

Ramon, those are absolutely gorgeous pictures of the Rafflesia. gosh, u make it sound so painful, LoL!! The buds just comes out from the body of the host plant **shivers** can't imagine how it might feel to be ripped apart from the inside T^T too scary to imagine.

i also second Rafflesia as my favorite weird plant

The picture are not taken by me. They are from the Internet. Just borrowed to stress the point.

Ramon:)

:clap: I guess one wouldn't have any trouble locating a rafflesia! AMAZING! Thanks Ramon!

Wendy - I'd like a bat as well, it sounds like they get rather large ....... time will tell!

Back