my WOC experience

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
Greetings.

I owe all of you an explanation as to why my art was not displayed at the 19th World Orchid Conference in Miami after all, especially those of you who have been in attendance at this event and made a point to look for my paintings.

In July of 2007, in an effort to get the ball rolling on displaying my work at the WOC, I began communicating with Dick Farwell. His adequate responses to my concerns, the most recent of which came two weeks ago, reassured me that I might enter two pieces for judging, that I did not need to reserve space ahead of time, and (most recently) that some pieces would be hung and others put on easels I did not need to provide.

A friend who was going to be in attendance as both an exhibitor and speaker graciously offered to take my two paintings to Miami with him. Dick Farwell (with whom he left my artwork so he could set up himself) and the rest of the people in the WOC office, in conjunction with a local art club who was apparently overseeing this section of the show, forgot to hang them. That was the explanation given to my friend: "We moved it over there and forgot about it." Even had I done a terrible job conveying the subject matter from their perspectives, it would have been hard to overlook my relatively-large painting portraying two, red Phragmipedium blossoms with trailing petals! I have concluded the only possible explanation is colorblindness.

I hope this will not adversely affect your perceptions of the quality of my work, and that those of you heading to the Japan Grand Prix International Orchid Festival in Tokyo next month will make a point of visiting my Cypripedium artietinum-inspired painting that I am confident will be on display.

Thank you for all of your support. I appreciate it more than I can convey.

Robin Street-Morris

from what i've seen of it, your work is so spectacular that it speaks for itself. i highly doubt that there was any question about the quality of you work and that guy who forgot about it had a "d'oh!" moment and probably feels bad about it....

Thanks, likespaphs. I’m going to tell myself you’re right—not exactly in keeping with what was relayed to me last night about their sentiments, but it’s less disturbing.

Eric, my work is so awesome someone would have seen you carrying the stuff, offered to buy it from you and you could have bought the whole besseae river with the proceeds. :rollhappy:

Maybe they liked them so much they set them aside do they could buy them?
They haven't gone missing I hope!
Eric

I’m glad you guys don’t think I’m a loser…it’s hard for me not to feel like anything involving my own business isn’t somehow my own fault on some level. I felt pretty stupid when I was told the art wasn’t there by someone I’ve got a lot of respect for. Fact of the matter is this is the sort of thing I should have found a way to be at, and then I'd have been watching over my art...not like it wouldn't have been a deduction, but that doesn't make it free of course. Yes, the paintings are safe at least. Thanks for all the kind words. Back to the drawing board, literally and figuratively. Always more shows, and the art will be better next time.

You, a loser? Not hardly. The losers are all the people that might have had an opportunity to see your work, but didn't because someone was apparently not doing his job properly.

Eric, my work is so awesome someone would have seen you carrying the stuff, offered to buy it from you and you could have bought the whole besseae river with the proceeds. :rollhappy:
Actually if I had a choice of a my favorite piece of your Art or more of the OZ besseaes for the same price I'd take the painting. :D

Latest posts

Back