My Wife Calls this my ‘Man Cave’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phred

Reaction score
We came to New Jersey 5 years ago to take care of my father-in-law who was in failing health. He passed away the end of October and we’re selling his house. The last part of the house to be fixed up is the area I have been growing my orchids in.
It took me the weekend... but I got everything moved to the garage. I moved a small couch in there because who doesn’t like to sit on the couch and watch their orchids grow 🤣
My wife saw me sitting on the couch and said, “I see you put a couch in your Man Cave”.
I might have the only wife in the world who thinks my room full of orchids, of all things, qualifies as a Man Cave. How lucky am I...
033F4B0B-491C-4E36-BA4D-F049BE3117C5.jpeg
21086410-9407-4F10-9D22-0A9FFE1B570D.jpeg
03B51B06-25C6-4856-A4B1-FEBC6690F170.jpeg
C9FBAA28-FEF4-443D-A6D9-301ABDAC7F3E.jpeg

We came to New Jersey 5 years ago to take care of my father-in-law who was in failing health. He passed away the end of October and we’re selling his house. The last part of the house to be fixed up is the area I have been growing my orchids in.
It took me the weekend... but I got everything moved to the garage. I moved a small couch in there because who doesn’t like to sit on the couch and watch their orchids grow 🤣
My wife saw me sitting on the couch and said, “I see you put a couch in your Man Cave”.
I might have the only wife in the world who thinks my room full of orchids, of all things, qualifies as a Man Cave. How lucky am I...
View attachment 31565
View attachment 31566
View attachment 31567
View attachment 31568
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

View attachment 31565
View attachment 31566
View attachment 31567
View attachment 31568
Where did you get the perfect shelves?

That is definately a "Man Cave". My brother has a man cave with all his comic character figurines with a computer and a chair! You are missing a computer to surf for orchid stuff!

Thanks everyone for all your kind and funny comments.
That looks so nice!! Please help me organize my apartment!
And the garage doesn't present any challenges with heating?
Hello My Green Pets
There is a heat vent in the garage and I leave the door into the house open... with the lights and fans running it stays in the 70’s even when it’s in the teens outside.
Probably a bit humid down there - but an ice machine and large screen TV......heaven
Hey Ozpaph
The humidity 40-60 average and 80 when I water a lot in one day. Goes down pretty quick with the furnace coming on.
Where did you get the perfect shelves?
Hi BrucherT
The black shelves came from Lowe’s
Healthy looking plants and great looking set up! Are those LED lights? And how do you handle the drain water?
Hi Justin
Some are cheap LED shop lights from Walmart and the rest are SunBlaster HO fluorescent T5’s. As for watering... I water everything at the sink a tray at a time. Can’t wait to have a setup where I can just water them where they are.

Great setup! Plus who doesn’t like communing with their orchids? A sofa is an excellent idea,
David
:) many years ago in my apt I got carried away with humidifying and the couch and chair my landlord had given me started molding
So a good sign that the plants will like the humidity, will be your couch getting fuzzy :D

Thanks everyone for all your kind and funny comments.

Hello My Green Pets
There is a heat vent in the garage and I leave the door into the house open... with the lights and fans running it stays in the 70’s even when it’s in the teens outside.

Hey Ozpaph
The humidity 40-60 average and 80 when I water a lot in one day. Goes down pretty quick with the furnace coming on.

Hi BrucherT
The black shelves came from Lowe’s
Hi Justin
Some are cheap LED shop lights from Walmart and the rest are SunBlaster HO fluorescent T5’s. As for watering... I water everything at the sink a tray at a time. Can’t wait to have a setup where I can just water them where they are.

I feel your pain in watering. My indoor collection is about 28 trays. It is a few hours of work each week. I use slotted trays nested in closed trays, so i can just pop out the slotted tray to move it to the sink or outside to water and let that drain befor putting it back.

I have gone to all LEDs and am vey happy. I have one 34 watt strip on each seedling shelf and 65 watt panels which replaced HID for the bigger plants.

Latest posts

Back