My very first Fukiran!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Boy

This is my very first, and self achieved Fukiran. I’ve had the plant for 2 years (got it in a trade), and now it’s finally there. Over the winter it started the new growths and quite a few new roots. I don’t really know what it is, and I don’t care too much about it to be honest. It’s my first, and knowing that I have been using the wrong pot, as well as the wrong moss I wanted to share it nonetheless. The old moss was starting to get messy, and I unfortunately had no 5star moss at hand. So I just used what I had available, which is my ordinary Dracula and Restrepia moss, and repotted it the best I could for the shoot.
Now that I’ve done the first I’m planning to get a few more, and for whatever reason I don’t understand, I like the bean-leafs. So, Jerry or Glenn will sort me out, I suppose.

I hope you like the pictures!

5809344264_9cd3aa83b1_z.jpg

5809343178_37fd3aab78_z.jpg

5809342712_6fcf71fbb5_z.jpg

5808777751_0089a9ccf5_z.jpg

5808776965_bf45a35d24_z.jpg

Well done!
I love the second one best, directly followed by the fourth :clap:

Thanks for your kind remarks. I'm trying hard to take better pictures.
@Paphioboy: The old fan is 16,5cm at it's widest crossing.

Looks a lot like Neofinetia falcata. Are you sure you got the name right?

Hi tenman!
Neofinetia falcata is the sientific/latin name.
Fuukiran/Fuuran the japanese name !

Thanks. Perhaps it would be clearer if you led with the scientific name like other posters rather than a horticultural epithet. Just a suggestion.

Thanks. Perhaps it would be clearer if you led with the scientific name like other posters rather than a horticultural epithet. Just a suggestion.

Well, perhaps yes, but those of us at this forum who are Neofinetia falcata enthusiasts have been tossing that term around here since 2007. The Japanese, of course, have been calling this plant by that name since at least the 1600s. To enthusiasts around here it's no different than calling a Paphiopedilum a Slipper Orchid or a Paph. To the Japanese, Fuuran, Fukiran and Fukurin are considered to be the formal names for these plants, and the Japanese take their Fukiran very seriously! You've learned something new because of all this, too, haven't you?! :poke: :wink:

Well, perhaps yes, but those of us at this forum who are Neofinetia falcata enthusiasts have been tossing that term around here since 2007. The Japanese, of course, have been calling this plant by that name since at least the 1600s. To enthusiasts around here it's no different than calling a Paphiopedilum a Slipper Orchid or a Paph. To the Japanese, Fuuran, Fukiran and Fukurin are considered to be the formal names for these plants, and the Japanese take their Fukiran very seriously! You've learned something new because of all this, too, haven't you?! :poke: :wink:

Yes, a very small tidbit which does not change the reality if the plant's identity. The plant's name is still Neofinetia falcata, and it is confusing not use it. There is no reason not to do so. It would be akin to simply posting other slippers as 'Bob's Best' (instead of Paph.hirsutissimum 'Bob's Best') or 'Green Eye' (instead of Paph.helenae 'Green Eye').

Not a big deal, just poor form.

Yes, a very small tidbit which does not change the reality if the plant's identity. The plant's name is still Neofinetia falcata, and it is confusing not use it. There is no reason not to do so. It would be akin to simply posting other slippers as 'Bob's Best' (instead of Paph.hirsutissimum 'Bob's Best') or 'Green Eye' (instead of Paph.helenae 'Green Eye').

Not a big deal, just poor form.

The scientific name is Neofinetia falcata, and it is also correct to call it fuuran/fuukiran. Maybe you should spend five minutes learning the history behind it, and stop criticizing something you obviously don't understand. It's not poor form at all.

Back