My Polyanthas in 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since last Friday I've been back home and meanwhile the buds in the photo of posting #2 are in flower. Yesterday with sunny wether I found time to take photos of these flowers. It's clearly one more mislabeled plant because I bought it as Paph. haynaldianum dark and ....yes the flowers are dark, tha's true, but obviously it. isn't Paph. haynaldianum but with high probability a hybrid with haynaldianum.
It would be nice if anybody could make a suggestion because I'm not really familiar with such hybrids.

09515_22.02.07_paph_haynaldianum_hybrid.jpg

09517_22.02.07_paph_haynaldianum_hybrid.jpg
My guess would be Paph Lebaudyanum (haynaldianum x philippinense).
Some pics of this hybrid look identical to yours, some photo examples do not have such long dark petals. Yours is exceptional !

My first thought was also Julius as DrLeslie proposed, but the petals on Julius are usually more horizontal, but it`s possible. But Lebaudyanum is probably correct. Houghtoniae does not have so much red color on the petals at least that I know of. Both flowers are beautiful. No wonder the MK is called Long Hair and the second has also lovely colors. The red on the lower half of the petals is👌The whole flower is beautiful.

My guess would be Paph Lebaudyanum (haynaldianum x philippinense).
Some pics of this hybrid look identical to yours, some photo examples do not have such long dark petals. Yours is exceptional !
My first thought was also Julius as DrLeslie proposed, but the petals on Julius are usually more horizontal, but it`s possible. But Lebaudyanum is probably correct. Houghtoniae does not have so much red color on the petals at least that I know of. Both flowers are beautiful. ................
Thanks Michael and Annica, yes I think P. Lebaudianum matches the best.

After a long time of care now my Paph. praestans is flowering for the very first time. Unfortunately one of both buds withered some time ago for reasons I don't know ... but the other one bloomed out.
The praestans/gardineri/glanduliferum/wilhelminae complex has been discussed controversely between taxonomists. KEW Science follows lumpers who accept only two species ... Paph. glanduliferum and Paph. wilhelminae. Paph. praestans and Paph. gardineri are synonyms of P. glanduliferum. The splitters distinguish by the colouration of the petals and the shape of the staminode 4 species and 2 or 3 varieties of Paph. praestans.

10300_23.10.31_paph_praestans.jpg

Ah, for once I find myself in complete accordance with KEW! 😉
Jens, I'm not really. Let me explain why. Before I wrote my posting above I made a short inquest of flower photos and the differences which splitters mention.
In my eyes there are significant differences in colouration and the staminode (shape and hair) between some of these 'individuals' which would allow to describe if not species in their own right but at least varieties.

Last edited:
Jens, I'm not really. Let me explain why. Before I wrote my posting above I made a short inquest of flower photos and the differences which splitters mention.
In my eyes there are significant differences in colouration and the staminode (shape and hairs) between some of these 'individials' which would allow to describe if not species in their own right but at least varieties.
I'll stick to my position, Rudolf, no matter what logic arguments, I'm presented with...just for once to taste how it feels not to be in the echo chamber with you! 😉🫠

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back