My Polyanthas in 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Michael Koopowitz
I bought this plant about a decade ago as a small young plant and within the years she grew slowly but she grew and now I can admire the flowers for the first time. Astonishingly she grew two fully matured fans before the older one produced a flower spike and I'm very pleased with these 4 pretty flowers.
For those who are interested Leafspan is 76 cm (30"), width of the flower(s) 6,5 cm (2,57") and the lenghth of the petals 35-37 cm (13,84"- 14,62").
The kultivar name 'Long Hair' isn't my creation it was already on the tag when I bought the plant.

09226_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz_%27LongHair%27.jpg

09228_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz._%27LongHair%27.jpg

09229_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz_%27LongHair%27.jpg

Last edited:
Michael Koopowitz is beautiful!!
If you got it as a small plant, depending on how small, then, it might have been a seedling with a wrong tag rather than a division?
Regardless, I'd be happy with it. :)
Enjoy the trip. The one in bud will take at least one week before starting to open up. It will be in fresh open bloom when you return given that it is being watered while you're gone.

Michael Koopowitz is beautiful!!
If you got it as a small plant, depending on how small, then, it might have been a seedling with a wrong tag rather than a division?.....
Yes, I got it as a seedling, no division. Maybe one of the parentage plants was 'Long Hair' ?
And yes, I'm very happy with it.

....Enjoy the trip. The one in bud will take at least one week before starting to open up. It will be in fresh open bloom when you return given that it is being watered while you're gone.
HP7 Thanks a lot.
I'm pretty sure I will see this flowers in good conditiona when I will return although the plants won't get watered during my absence.
I took the photos of my MK, P. haynaldianum and P. tranlienianum last Thuesday (January 3.) .... and all plant got water for the last time at December 11. .....that's more than 3 week ago. But all plants feel happy and are in good conditions. Next watering will be at Sunday, the day before my departure.
So if the heating will work properly, everything shoulsd be o.k. at my arrival. But at any rate there is a person who will keep an eye on everything.

Paphiopedilum Michael Koopowitz 'Long Hair'
I bought this plant about a decade ago as a small young plant and within the years she grew slowly but she grew and now I can admire the flowers for the first time. Astonishingly she grew two fully matured fans before the older one produced a flower spike and I'm very pleased with these 4 pretty flowers.
For those who are interested Leafspan is 76 cm (30"), width of the flower(s) 6,5 cm (2,57") and the lenghth of the petals 35-37 cm (13,84"- 14,62").
The kultivar name 'Long Hair' isn't my creation it was already on the tag when I bought the plant.

09226_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz_%27LongHair%27.jpg

09228_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz._%27LongHair%27.jpg

09229_23.01.03_paph_Michael_Koopowitz_%27LongHair%27.jpg
Very pretty and great photos. As always, the full plant is wonderful to behold.

Very nice. There is an old clone of Michael Koopowitz 'Long Hair' from Taiwan. Looks similar. Might your plant be a division of that clone?

But if it was a seedling, how did it have a clonal name?
David, I wrote in my first post of this thread.
......The kultivar name 'Long Hair' isn't my creation it was already on the tag when I bought the plant.
I bought the plant in an ebay auction and the seller alraedy used this kultivar name. BTW I looked it up and I paid 11,63 Euro for the plant in 11/2009.
But if their exists(ed) a plant with such clonal name and to avoid further confusion I won't use this kultivar name anymore.

Last edited:
Super MK! Looks similar to mine.

Since you mentioned haynaldianum in one of your posts, I'm assuming the budded poly is in fact, haynaldianum. Correct? I'm sure it will be just as beautiful

David, I wrote in my first post of this thread.

I bought the plant in an ebay auction and the seller alraedy used this kultivar name. BTW I looked it up and I paid 11,63 Euro for the plant in 11/2009.
But if their exists(ed) a plant with such clonal name and to avoid further confusion I won't use this kultivar name anymore.

So you bought the plant in flower?

There is a photo of a MK 'Long Hair' in the first edition of the book series Paphiopedilums in Taiwan which was released in 1997. The clone wasn't awarded from what I could tell.

Since last Friday I've been back home and meanwhile the buds in the photo of posting #2 are in flower. Yesterday with sunny wether I found time to take photos of these flowers. It's clearly one more mislabeled plant because I bought it as Paph. haynaldianum dark and ....yes the flowers are dark, tha's true, but obviously it. isn't Paph. haynaldianum but with high probability a hybrid with haynaldianum.
It would be nice if anybody could make a suggestion because I'm not really familiar with such hybrids.

09515_22.02.07_paph_haynaldianum_hybrid.jpg

09517_22.02.07_paph_haynaldianum_hybrid.jpg

Back