My Phal. Schilleriana is opening up!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
I bought this plant from Matt around march/april. It's no paph but it's my very first orchids to spike in my care. It's also the plants first bloom. I came home today and found it opening! I got to excited and couldn't wait. Here's the plant in the different stages of spike/bloom. I'll post another picture when its fully open.

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

DSCN1171.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

banana.gif

Marco,

Great pix. Great mottling in the leaves. What's the medium it's growing in? And how do you grow ? Lights, windowsill,..? It sure looks healthy. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing it fully open.

charlie c

Marco, is this the plant's first bloom ever? So lovely--with that unmistakable species simplicity and elegance. Mine has its first spike for me, but it appears to be the third the plant has managed, though it is still small. I wonder if they manage more blossoms with increased age?

Be sure to post a pic with it fully open, OK?

Matt - Thanks for the great plant. I bought and recieved another phal schilleriana from oakhill about a week after yours. They were both about the same size but yours really took of after going into s/h. Hopefully the hieroglyphica I got from you will spike next :poke:.

Charlie - I grow on a windowsill with light supplement. The potting medium is primeagra from firstrays.com. I got the pots from there to. (to lazy to go make my own) I definately dig the molted leaves to, they're great!

Equestris - Yup, this is the plant's first bloom ever. You're schilleriana spiked 3 times already? What's the ls on your schilly? The ls on this particular schilly is 8". I also have another one thats about at an 8" but didn't spike. I'm acutally suprised it spiked on such a small plant. I sure do hope as the plant matures there will be more blossoms. There's only one bud on the little guy.

My little guy is 12" if you hold the leaves out flat. There are only 3 leaves. The spike is thin like a toothpick, and it's more immature than yours, but it does seem to be differentiating into 4 or more buds. There are 2 stubs of previous spikes, so I guess these bloom pretty small.

Very good leaf mottlage... It will grow bigger and have more flowers maybe next year or so... a very easy growing species... one of my favs.!

-Pat

(I see u were posting this new thread and taking pics of the plant!)

I don't know if it's still going to open up. I've seen pictures where the petals and dorsal petal angles back I don't know if this one is gonna do that. But here it is.

schilly1.jpg

schilly.jpg

Wow, that's really pink! Much more pink that I would have expected for the species... usually they seem white-ish with a pink blush. Nice growing :)

- Matt

You should have a warning: Adult Themed Content, no one under 18 allowed to precede your thread!

Kama sutra for orchids. You gotta love how the petal moves in the angles they do. The coca-cola kinda helps give a little more umph in the angle right Chris? :poke: kidding

..great flower! It looks like a deeper shade then ones I have seen (like some white coloration...)

-PM

That's a nicely colored bloom. Schileriana is a great species phal to grow. You're going to love it. I've had one for about five years. It produces big, multiple, branching spikes with about 100 flowers altogether.

Sniffed it this morning and it is fragrant. Pleasantly sweet. To me smells like a rose with a tinge of cotton candy. It made me wanna take a nibble out of it:poke:

Rick - you are totally right. I love the fragrance and if this little guy can go to 100+ flowers :D

Latest posts

Back