My Paphs 2008 - so far

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

so far I flowered just few of my Paphs in 2008 and hopefully I will flower some more during the rest of the year.
Paph appletonianum was in flower some months ago but I thought by myself I will wait to post the photo until some more are in flower. But when my Paph Ho Chi Minh flowered only few weeks ago at the beginning I didn't have time to take a photo and in the end the flower started already to wilt when I intended to take photos.
But now and today here it is together with another beauty.

paph_appletonianum_n.jpg

Paph supardii is the second multifloral that I brought to flower and I like it very much.

paph_supardii.jpg

two close ups of a single flower

paph_supardii_2.jpg

paph_supardii_3.jpg

and a close up of the staminody

paph_supardii_4.jpg

Enjoy and I hope you will like them.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Of course the supardii is the more spectacular one, but I really like the colors and shape of your appletonianum!! Jean

...How many flowers are there on the supardii? 4?

Yep!!
But to be honest There is a reason why I didn't show all 4 flowers in my photo. The flower at the top of the spike is misshaped, it's pouch is nearly missing. That's why it looks not so good and could be an example for the freak section. :D

That is a very nice clone of appletonianum. What is the source?

Hi Rick,
I purchased it in the nursery of Boschi Popow in Wolfsburg/Germany. I know him well and I purchased many of my Paphs also the Paph supardii there.

Paph hermannii and Paph liemianum 2008

These are update photos of these two species in flower in 2008. Both had flowered for the last time before in 2006.
In my humble opinion Paph hermannii is still a good species and I don't care whether with natural hybrid or true species origin.
I don't know whether anybody knows the name WALTER RICHTER. He was a famous German gardener and writer of orchid books. I knew him personally and he once said to me: `"The most important thing is to grow the plant well and flower it regularly. Names of plants are secondary because they are just man made and they come and go."
Somehow he was a wise man in my eyes.
Enjoy the photos

paph_hermanii.jpg

and a closeup of the staminode

paph_hermanii_1.jpg

paph_liemianum.jpg

and a closeup of the staminode

paph_liemianum_1.jpg

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

"The most important thing is to grow the plant well and flower it regularly. Names of plants are secondary because they are just man made and they come and go."

Isn't that the truth! We humans are very caught up in names -- I suppose partly because we can "own" them if we know their names. And we see, these days, how orchid names come and go!

Latest posts

Back