My paphiopedilum Prince Edward of York is a single

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fan Tan Fannie

Reaction score
My paphiopedium Prince Edward of York finally opened. It took 3 years to get it bloomed. It is a very slow grower and took me awhile to learn how to get it growing. Although it has only one flower, I am very happy for it to bloom for me. Here it is... Prince Edward of York!! I hope it will have multiple flowers next time!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_171520386.jpg
    IMG_20220819_171520386.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220819_171458048.jpg
    IMG_20220819_171458048.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220819_171813795.jpg
    IMG_20220819_171813795.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Stunning flower! Definately a keeper! Whence did you get hold of it/do you know the cross?
May I know the reason why to cut the flower off soon?
I guess, Stephen gave that advice for the plant to conserve its energy and use it for growth, not on flowering. When the plant is more established, you of course do not have to follow that course. But from my own bitter experience the advice seems sound, - and you can always keep the flower for some time in a vase and thus still enjoy it! (just remember to shift the water in the vase regularly! 😉)

Whence did you get hold of it/do you know the cross?
The tag said Paph. rothschildianum 'Early Bird' x Paph. sanderianum 'Kamakami'. I bought it in a local orchid show spring 2019. It was full bloomed with 4 flowers. I made some mistake growing it by watering it too often. Plus it grows very slow. It got setback. I learned that I let it dry out a bit between watering and this summer I left it outside in very warm temp. It seems to like it. It finally started a spike. Here is the photo when I first got it.

Any culture tips are welcome!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_081308518_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190429_081308518_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
It's gorgeous... glad you succeeded in saving it! The fact that it is the first flowering on its way to recovering, would, at least for me, put further emphasis on Stephen's ('Ozpah') advice to cut it soon.

Maybe you could ask David ('emydura') for advice on culture? He is both very friendly and helpfull....and something of a wizard, when it comes to growing multiflorals:
Just found out that my Wossner Black Wings received an AM award. This is a first flowering seedling from Sam's cross (rothschildianum 'Leo' SM/JOGA x adductum var. anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS). This plant has a bit of a different look, especially the long pendulous petals. Probably the standout features of this clone is the very tall spike (85 cm) and the well spaced flowers. As Stephen has mentioned before, in Australia this plant is awarded under the name Johanna Burkhardt as anitum is not recognised here. This is the first time I have flowered a Paph involving anitum and I can now see what all the fuss is all about. It is such a wonderful hybrid.

WBW%20Rajani.jpg

WBW%20Rajani%202.jpg

Back