My Paph volonteanum (from Matt)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfDog1 (C. Williams)

Reaction score
This has been a long time coming! It seems to have been in bud for the last 6 months or so. The infloresence is probably 2 ft long (I have not measured it). Anyway, here is the picture, I hope you like it.

(By the way this photo was shot with my partner's new Nikon D40 camera. WOO HOO! Maybe some nice orchid photos now!)

Craig

It's like Bruce Springsteen predicted in one of his songs: "It's been a long time coming my Dear, it's been a long time coming but now it's here" - fortunately. :wink: Congrats to this nowadays still seldom seen beauty.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Great ! love it !
Thanks for posting.

I've heard a number of people say they are not easy ... I'll be so pleased
when (if ?) my new pair show new root growth. Apparently in some of the places this species is found growing, the soil contains reasonable amounts of toxic metal ions due to the ultramafic (sp?) geology. Could evolutionary adaptation to this enviroment effect the needs of these plants in cultivation ... such as inefficient uptake of trace metals such as zinc (which is essential for pathogen resistance in some plants) or that certain pathogens just don't survive in these soils and thus these plants are not as resistant to these?? Has anyone here heard any discussion of this topic ?

Cheers,
Tim

Very nice one how about the foliage ? is it a real volonteanum?

It looks real enough to me! Paphjoint, he got it from Matt Gore. I have one from Matt as well. Although mine hasn't bloomed it looks very similar to the other one that I have. Are you thinking it's a hybrid?

NO its just that I was thinking about the foliage there's a few differences which separates it from hookerae -- more spathulate petals and a purple coloration on the back of the leaves

NO its just that I was thinking about the foliage there's a few differences which separates it from hookerae -- more spathulate petals and a purple coloration on the back of the leaves

I see what you mean. I have 2 volon's and 1 hook I'll try with my camera to get a PIC of all 3.

Thats a very nice flower. I had been eyeing those from Gore but hadn't pulled the trigger. I guess I need to reconsider.

A friend of mine told me that Matt doesn't have any more for sale. You might check with him and if he does, let me know as I want another or two.

Craig

Craig,
Does your plant look anything like this one?
PvolonteanumvGores.jpg

Paphjoint,
Here are the 3 plants together from left to right: hookerae,volonteanum 'Court Jester' and volonteanum var Gore:D
Phookerae2volonteanumsTOP.jpg

side view;
Phookerae2volonteanumsSIDE.jpg

Latest posts

Back