my outdoor plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewel

Reaction score
flowers006-3.jpg

day lily 'American sunset' from wally world
flowers003-2.jpg

last mini rose of the season! smells like strawberries and clean laundry:drool:
flowers001-2.jpg

Gladiolus 'peter pears' from the dollar store:D was supposed to be pink supreme but i like this better:rollhappy:

Very nice!

Where do you live? How do you treat your gladiolus? Whenever I've tried they never bloom....:(

Very nice!

Where do you live? How do you treat your gladiolus? Whenever I've tried they never bloom....:(

i live in southern Utah where during the summer months we get almost zero rain until the monsoons arrive and temperatures are in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit for about four months out of the year but the glads seem to breeze right through when watered regularly. i plant them march through may in 8 inch plastic pots or larger. i have tried putting them in the ground but the ground bugs always eats them. they are planted at a depth of about four inches and deeper in levels so the pots have a nice full look but the corms have room to grow. before i plant them i remove the tunic and soak the corms in a diluted solution of bleach and water to kill any thrips that might be hiding. being potted they do require staking unless planted in a really big pot and planted deep. they also receive a balanced fertilizer every two weeks to keep the stems strong. they also require a full sun exposure or they wont bloom even if the corms are flowering size. hope that helps feel free to ask more questions:D, and ill keep the pics coming:D!

here are some pics of today's blooms:D
flowers007-1.jpg
flowers006-4.jpg

Rebutia muscula
flowers002-1.jpg

'American sunset'
flowers009-2.jpg

a native mammillaria, notice the red dirt, around here the cliffs are red sandstone.

Lovely photos and blooms! Your cactus are amazing. All we have around here are prickly pear and yucca.

Very nice!

i just created a gladiolus group on yahoo, called "gladioluscorm", feel free to join and ask as many questions as you like!:D

Jewel, so sorry for missing your posts & thank you very much for your replies!!! I think I will try again next year! Your tips are very helpful...!:):):):):)

your very welcome!:D here are some more pics!
flowers024.jpg
a florist gloxinia that smells slightly of cinnamon in the early morning last year it got a total of 40 flowers!
flowers029.jpg
a noid green dendrobium that a a fragrance of jasmine and freesia in the afternoon and jasmine and lemon verbena in the morning.

this is the same mammillaria from a previous post, blooming like crazy after some recent monsoonal storms :D
flowers048.jpg
flowers050.jpg
flowers046.jpg

echinopsis multiplex i bought last time i was in phoenix, flowers smell like cucumber melon body spray or moon flowers or datura if you've ever smelled any of these they all smell pretty much the same.
flowers042.jpg
flowers040.jpg
flowers041.jpg
flowers039.jpg

and a June bug
flowers031.jpg

Latest posts

Back