My new greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, mine in double pane glass and that is where the problem comes in with the vents. Too much weight. Are you using the same size and type motors to open both the top and bottom vents? Also what is the name and specific model of the motors opening the top vents? Knowing that information would be very helpful to me. My motors are Johnson and have all the specifics but not currently at hand (model and such). The push rods that are made of aluminum have bent trying to open my vents. Just had some thicker ones made and installed earlier this week.

Bob,

I will look up the motors for both the top and side vents first thing in the morning and let you know.

That is the same motor that they sent me, when I needed a new replacement. However, they charged me 3 times what I could have bought it for from via Supplyhouse.com. Keep that in mind. It also was not the same motor that crapped out on me. The only negative I see, is this motor doesn't keep the vents open if you lose power. My other ones I can lock in position by turning off the individual switch for that motor. This is not a real problem for me as I have a generex generator that is run on propane that kicks in within 5 or 8 seconds after losing power. We spent all day yesterday installing a exhaust fan just in case the vents don't open. Like I say, have been having trouble with slippage from the weight of the double pain glass. I very strongly suggest you use self tapping screws and drill threw every single one of the collars, not just the ones where the motors are. My g.h. is 20 feet long and they were going to use only one motor per side vent and top vent when they thought they were going to use double pain polycarbonate. When I pointed out the contract said double pain glass all around, they then put two motors on the top vent and left one on the side. If you have any questions or need clarification as to anything I'm suggesting, just shoot me a e-mail. Would be more then glad to give you a couple of pointers, that I have learnt the hard way. Due to $$$, am holding off changing the glass on the vents to poly, but will do so next year. Have had my g.h for maybe 12 years or so.

Thank you for all the tips, Bob! We bought an on demand LP generator and waiting for the installers plus the gas company will eventually show up to bury the LP tank as we cannot have them free standing unless they are built to a code. I'm sure I'll be calling on your good nature to help me out time to time, my other greenhouse was built by Florian and this time we decided to go with Texas Greenhouse and I'm happy with it so far.

Fantastic greenhouse and wish you good luck with it all. Despite the learning curve, must be crazy exciting to have that set-up. Your plants will explode.

Thank you eOrchids and Migrant!

They are growing like weeds, they seem to love the heat and humidity despite my all worries.

OK, I got you.

I looked up Waverly, and I'm afraid that C. tibeticum won't grow in your climate regardless. These are plants of high mountains where day time temps rarely exceed 80 F. Your neck of the woods is too warm for too long for its liking. Sorry to say that...

Is there something she can do to initiate early dormancy, and stick the plant in the fridge in May (or April)? Supposedly there are people who grow pubscens in southern florida; they bring the plant out in Nov, and in March/April, the plant goes int he fridge.

Latest posts

Back