My new glasshouse - finished at last

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its what they get used to, I think. And its for a few hours at most then its 20C again!

I guess that is the difference between Brisbane and Canberra. Your minimum temperatures climb very quickly (so the plants are not cold for long) and your maximum temperatures will get much warmer (which I think is important).

Nice work! Congrats.
You can always install a small heater just in case...

I have a heater installed. The heater keeps the minimum temps going below 14 or 15oC. But if I have a blackout like occurred the other night, I have no plan B. But it would appear for the short period that this may occur, this won't be a problem.

Thanks for sharing the whole process and best of luck with your new greenhouse. You and your neighbor did an excellent job. Any $$$ left for plants?

Time for an update, please, David. How hot did it get over summer? Do you have a cooler or just misting/fogging?
I have to build a new orchidhouse and am contemplating a 'closed' house this time, but will have to heat and cool!

Two pieces of advice that you didn't ask for 1. your concrete floor will get VERY slick and you need to keep it
very clean or "you'll break your neck" as all mothers say
2. Get a gas generator for a backup system in case of
power failures. Your greenhouse is not so large that you'd have to have a large generator so less expense.

If you have no other heat source, drag your gas grill into the GH...

Two pieces of advice that you didn't ask for 1. your concrete floor will get VERY slick and you need to keep it
very clean or "you'll break your neck" as all mothers say
2. Get a gas generator for a backup system in case of
power failures. Your greenhouse is not so large that you'd have to have a large generator so less expense.

Yes, parts of it are getting a bit green although not the areas I walk on. They tend to be hidden under benches.

The greenhouse is so well insulated, that even on the coldest winter night the temperature wouldn't get low enough to do any damage. Not in the short term anyway. A power blackout on a hot summers day would present more of a problem. It would get very toasty if the fans and fogger stopped working.

David, your summer experience??? Thanks

It has been a little tough at times Stephen. This is definitely a warmer greenhouse than my old one. It has been designed to cope with Canberra's cold winters which it has done really nicely. The flip side is it can get a bit too warm in summer - regularly temperatures can reach 34oC or more on hot sunny days. I have had to put an extra layer of shade cloth on. I have two roof vents operating. The humidity stays above 70% so the conditions aren't too oppressive for the plants. The big problem I have had is my fogger on two occasions has stopped working on really hot days and that has caused some grief. The temperature has climbed and the humidity has plummeted. I think the bearings in the motor are playing up and occasionally the motor won't start. I have just received a new motor so I will have to replace the old one. The fogger has been working really well for the last few weeks so it seems a bit intermittent.

Latest posts

Back