My most favorite

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there are plenty of original pre-1940 hybrid plants still grown today. Pre-1900 it’s mostly species, think lueddemanniana ‘Stanleyi’, labiata ‘Cooksoniae’, and quite a few trianeai such as ‘Grand Monarch’, ‘Mooreana’, and ‘Osmanii’ to name a few. One thing to keep in mind is that these plants have been pruned, divided and repotted many times during their 100 plus years in cultivation so many may test positive for virus, although they may be otherwise asymptomatic.
That's so amazing. Do you mean plants from before 1940 are still grown today?

Yes, there are plenty of original pre-1940 hybrid plants still grown today. Pre-1900 it’s mostly species, think lueddemanniana ‘Stanleyi’, labiata ‘Cooksoniae’, and quite a few trianeai such as ‘Grand Monarch’, ‘Mooreana’, and ‘Osmanii’ to name a few. One thing to keep in mind is that these plants have been pruned, divided and repotted many times during their 100 plus years in cultivation so many may test positive for virus, although they may be otherwise asymptomatic.
That's is so interesting and educational. Are those viruses untreatable?

I remember hearing a few years ago that there was potentially a treatment, but it cost thousands of dollars per plant, so functionally, the viruses are untreatable. Some plants can grow and bloom fine despite testing positive, other plants exhibit necrotic spotting, premature flower drop, and reduced vigor. Since the viruses are easy transmitted, great care is recommended if you plan to acquire a virus positive plant to prevent spread to uninfected plants.
That's is so interesting and educational. Are those viruses untreatable?

I remember hearing a few years ago that there was potentially a treatment, but it cost thousands of dollars per plant, so functionally, the viruses are untreatable. Some plants can grow and bloom fine despite testing positive, other plants exhibit necrotic spotting, premature flower drop, and reduced vigor. Since the viruses are easy transmitted, great care is recommended if you plan to acquire a virus positive plant to prevent spread to uninfected plants.
Thank you so much for your replies. I must be a bit smarter now.;)

If I had a way to "winter" them, I'd have a lot of vandas. Grown in baskets with no media, they grow and put on very colorful shows. I am mostly into very bright yellow/orange/red colors, but one of the most stunning ones I ever had was a cross I registered (O/U), naming it after my wife - Vanda My Michele - the blossoms we flat as a pancake and typically reached 15 cm natural spread.
Ascocenda My Michele Lavender Beauty.jpg

Can anyone tell us their most favorite non-slipper orchid and why?
That question made my head hurt. As I started to reply my list got pretty long pretty quickly.
Several Dendrobiums such as: tretifolium v. farfaxii, speciosum, tetrogonum, several species Cymbidiums like tracyanum, then there are a few Masdavallies like princeps etc, oh and almost any Sophronitis, and of course C. walkeriana and friends, Coelogeny, Anguloa, and Lycaste rank pretty high.
sheesh, what a fun question.

If I had a way to "winter" them, I'd have a lot of vandas. Grown in baskets with no media, they grow and put on very colorful shows. I am mostly into very bright yellow/orange/red colors, but one of the most stunning ones I ever had was a cross I registered (O/U), naming it after my wife - Vanda My Michele - the blossoms we flat as a pancake and typically reached 15 cm natural spread.
View attachment 32265
Great colour and shape Ray!

Latest posts

Back