My Mexipedium is *still* blooming, but I repotted it anyway...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey heather,
I finally got one too from a division! and using an old bonsai pot from a fukien tea bonsai.

mine seems to have huge leafspan. definitely not miniature. It's a 10 x 7.5 inch pot around the outside. How big is your pot?

Do you think there are too many stryofoam peanuts? The plant came with many peanuts, and some shows through the top after changing pots, even though the pot it came in is the same depth. Is the bark too coarse? I added medium bark to the original fine bark b/c my pot was wider. It now sits on my westernly windowsill.

Hi Fren,

That looks pretty good!
The peanuts concern me a little, as does the larger size of the bark, but that's just cause I don't grow mine that way. So, YMMV.
The leafspan looks great (and normal - that one growth is mature and ready to bloom anytime now. With spring coming, I'd say you have a good shot.) You've certainly given you plant room to do some rambling.

When I first repotted it was from a deeper but snugger azalea pot into a pot the same size as yours, 10 x 7.5. But the plant had many more growths (10-15) Now, my new pot is about 13" x 9" (roughly) and the plant has 31 growths, so, in my experience, they like it snug, but with room to grow. Does that make sense? What did your roots look like? Do you have oyster shell? They like that too....

Does anyone need a pot, btw? I have one, free to a good home if you pay shipping (or live nearby, free free - George, have you called Marilyn yet?) :poke:

Thanks. I will remove the peanuts that I can see and fill in with fine bark. I think I should grow similar to your way since we are both indoors windowsill/underlight growers

It had only one long healthy root. Based on your photos they tend to have few roots.

I have only crushed dolomite lime, so I will add that stuff (well I have a bird with crushed oyster, but I'm concerned about salt)

How often do you water. I remember you misted in the morning.

Yeah KK and actually I'm putting together an order to pick up at SEPOS show but..I never think to ask about dolomite lime and I only just lately saw it on there website.

That's the "it" I meant. Now if only I could find some calceous limestone for my Pk friends! :D Anyway I'm off to the lightbulb store and home depot for some fixtures! Ciao!

Gorgeous! Hate to admit it - but even though I've been growing paphs and phrags for well over 10 years, I hadn't heard of mexipediums... Now I must have one! Where are good venders that sell them? I'm located in NYC...

Thanks.
Rob

Here's a photo taken of her main 'Oaxaca' plant. Thanks to John (Phrag) for doing so.
marilyn13xc9.jpg

Wow, that one is huge! :drool: Mine is still only little but it's definitely increasing in size. Wish it would hurry :poke:

That pic is a poor representation of how massive her mother plant really is. I got so damn excited seeing the thing in person I forgot to take a decent picture of it. :)

Medium

Everyone here is growing in fine bark. Does anyone grow in Sphagnum moss? Heather - any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back