My Mexipedium is *still* blooming, but I repotted it anyway...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is spiking too! It had two spikes, but I busted one off.:mad::eek:

Its broken above the 1st bract so maybe it will branch off a new spike.

One year a grasshopper ate the ends off a spike, and it came back.

Here's an updated photo - not a good one. I think you can see all three spikes though. One is getting close.

This one won't go to my OS meeting until all three are blooming because I was reprimanded last year for only having one spike.

img1189af1.jpg

Heather said:
This one won't go to my OS meeting until all three are blooming because I was reprimanded last year for only having one spike.

May be they became jealous, that's why :rollhappy:

OK, it's OK, I've got him back under control. Seriously though, that plant seems to be doing very well for you. Are you growing it in the basement? Also, are those runners in the upper left hand corner?

Yeah, it's under compact fluorescents in the basement right now. I may try to find some sun for it occasionally.

and yes, the long red stolons are the new plant growths.

I will also clarify that maybe reprimanded was a little strong. The judging committee said that for a plant with so many growths (it had around 10 last year I think?) they would have liked to have seen more than one spike. So, this year, I think it will do better in showing.

Okay! Here we go again - Repotting!

So far, no major disasters. Did a growth count and I've got thirty one growths (removed one that was dying off which was not in the count.) I started to put this in a new thread but then, in an effort to remind myself how I did it the last time, I re-read this entire thread and thought it was better off just updating it here.

Here's a photo of it now:

Now, to get it into a new pot! This is going to be tricky.

Old pot vs. new pot:

Here it is with the plant placed in the pot, ready to be covered up. You can see I've tried to place the new stolons as close to the surface as possible, but they are all seated in the mix now. Some are a little too deep and only time will tell if they make it back up through the surface. I try not to bury the tips completely.

All potted up!
Went really smoothly. I topped with a bit of oyster shell at the end and gave it a good drink.

It looks great! I'm looking forward to (hopefully) doing this with mine someday--for now the new start off one growth has some sphagnum moss around its base and is tucked into the mix with a bent paper clip. I went through a similar process with the bigger Paph. armeniacum yesterday morning though. I'd had it the same clear pot for the past two years (CHC mix) and finally had to move it to a basket because there were growths headed all over the place. Plants with this kind of growth habit are kind of a task when it comes time to resituate them, but they look so cool when you get the setup right! The bonsai pot is simply perfect.

Latest posts

Back