My Mexipedium is *still* blooming, but I repotted it anyway...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great, Heather! I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine. I had it in a shallow clay pot with stones at the bottom, but it cracked a couple weeks ago when I picked it up and sliced open my hand. I didn't have anything else to put it in, so I stuffed it in a slat basket with a coco husk lining, paph mix and some moss wrapped around the growths I'm hoping will come up with some more roots--mine don't look nearly as awesome as yours! I'd eyed the larger bonsai dishes at the botanical gardens here for that very purpose though; I'm going to take a second look at them the next time I catch a bus out there.

The Bonsai pots work good for Bulbo's also I have onr that I drilled some holes in the four conners and hung it with some wire works great
Ray

I think bonsai pots would work great for many types of orchids. I have miniatures that are all in small bonsai pots. I also have a Psychopsis Mariposa 'Green Valley' in a bonsai pot. I like them because I display my plants with my bonsai.
These pots are cheaper to buy at chinatown...I see some places really overprice them.

IO,

In case you didn't know, slipperorhids.info was created and is maintained by our own Stephen Manza, aka, slilence882. He is a fountain of knowledge :)

- Matthew Gore

Seems to me I have to repot my mexipedium now. It grows in very small pieces of coco husk chips. There are so small that it looks like hay dust. I watered it yesterday and the surface of the medium was still very wet this morning and half of the surface was molded. I don't like this and I'm afraid it is not good for the plant. The medium looks like swamp. Heather, did you put something at the bottom of your bonsai pot for drainage?

I'm definitely going to get some, but what bothers me the most is reading that it was found in Oaxaca and when I was 14 Y.O. I spent the summer as an exchange student in Mexico and spent time there!

Shadow said:
Seems to me I have to repot my mexipedium now. It grows in very small pieces of coco husk chips. There are so small that it looks like hay dust. I watered it yesterday and the surface of the medium was still very wet this morning and half of the surface was molded. I don't like this and I'm afraid it is not good for the plant. The medium looks like swamp. Heather, did you put something at the bottom of your bonsai pot for drainage?

I didn't have a lot of extra room because the roots and stolons were fairly extensive, and the bonsai pot I chose is only about 4" deep, so no, I didn't put anything in the bottom.

The mix I used is very similar to what it was originally potted in when I got it from Marilyn LeDoux (Windy Hill Gardens). It is Kelley's Korner's Paph. Mix which is small fir bar, charcoal, perlite, and a tiny bit of chopped sphagnum.
The plant seemed happy in Marilyn's mix, so I decided not too mess too much with a good thing. It is the only plant that I have that is not in Semi-Hydro.

I 've repotted it today. It's horrible.:( It had only two small roots and both of them are dead. Seems to me I'm punished because I violated my first rule - to repot the new plants immediately. Does somebody know if the plant can receive water via old stolon? :sob:

Oh no! That's terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear that. Have you thought to contact the vendor, perhaps? It might be worthwhile, you haven't had the plant for long.

I don't know the answer to your question. You might try emailing Marilyn LeDoux at Windy Hill Gardens. She grows them very well and may be able to help, or at least have some suggestions for how you should proceed.

Heather, you can congratulate me! I've just noticed the start of the new root at the base of mexi. May be there are more down there but I don't want to look and disturb the plant. So, I've just put piece of sphagnum on top to cover new root from the sun light and my eyes. :crazy: Seems to me this plant decided to survive. :)

Latest posts

Back