My Mexican Butterwort

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
I've decided to change the lingo just a tad so you wolves don't get out of control. :)

Bloomed! (sorry for the blur on the first one....my lighting stinks!)

img2244nk8.jpg

img2247sm3.jpg

Cool spur, huh?! No - don't you go there!!
Anyone know what it is - have a species or hybrid name? That'd be great!

Oh yeah - note nice dead fungus gnats on plant. NEAT-O!

Hey - that's cool Heather!

I hope mine blooms eventually. But I'm happy just to have it around eatin' up those gnats. I'd get a few more soapworts, but I don't have a clue where to purchase them here - got mine at an orchid society meeting from one of the members.

Joanne

Love the first photo! :rolleyes:
What kills the gnats? :confused:
Why do you call it a butterwort [be proud of your thing for pings!]
Did Tutoperu post a photo of his?! :poke:

nice bilabiate bloom

Its leaves are mucilagenous which traps gnats, and can make the leaves look butter-like in texture.

Fren, is that the species do you think?

Eric - yes, distilled from below - I keep it sitting in about an inch or two all the time.

It does a good job but I miss my droseras! :sob:

sorry I don't know ping. ID....

I'm just being a dork...my prof had lectured about butterworts and other canivorous plants in the order Lamiales.

When I google Pinguicula vulgaris the leaf shape looks different from yours...though it is hard to tell since they curl up their leaves when they catch something. Yours seems to have more leaves than those Pinguicula vulgaris on google

I guess my link did not work before, so here is the picture I offered.
It has 4 flowers and there is a fifth coming

Eric - yes, distilled from below - I keep it sitting in about an inch or two all the time.

Shhhh ! don't tell mine this..they drink tap water , and don't sit in water ! If they are small, they even get watered on their noggins..if they cover the pot then I have to water under the leaves.....I even give them a shot of weak fertilizer on occasion....not enough gnats here !:D

Pings

My 3 pings are all blooming now, must be the time of year. All are in sphagnum per a suggestion of Ed Merkle on the OSF. I water them with RO from the top(also cleans off the gnats), no fertilizer and seem to be growing better than the other mix(coconut chips and peat). That idea with the single leaf propogation appeals to me and will try it out today and let you know.

Thanks, I would like to get a couple of these and some micro-mini Sinningia pusillas. I don't have a lot of gnats but I do need plants that can take being over-watered:D
Augusto, is that Lpths. calodycton? If so how long have you kept it alive?

hey guys, do butterwarts in general need a cooldown period for them to live for a long time? i work in a drosophila (fruit fly) genetics lab and we always have many escapees, so i'm tryin to find some natural solutions... my worries would be they getting ODed on too many flies rather than not enough, haha

Latest posts

Back