My Mexican Butterwort

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys, do butterwarts in general need a cooldown period for them to live for a long time? i work in a drosophila (fruit fly) genetics lab and we always have many escapees, so i'm tryin to find some natural solutions... my worries would be they getting ODed on too many flies rather than not enough, haha

Mine doesn't geta cool down but I can't really say if I have my original plant from 2 years ago or not since I have divided mine numerous times !Mine grow like weeds !

Eric,
It is actually a Lpths. calodycton. I got it at the WOC. It actually went through a rough time. It lost 4 of its 5 leaves, but it has put a new leaf since then. It have kept it alive for the past 2 months.

I have it mounted, surrounded with moss and sitting on pebbles inside a clear container. I fill out the container up to an inch of tap water every 3-4 days. The container is almost in front of the fan so it has a little air.

It has been recuperating and hopefully it would bloom some of these days :)

hey guys, do butterwarts in general need a cooldown period for them to live for a long time? i work in a drosophila (fruit fly) genetics lab and we always have many escapees, so i'm tryin to find some natural solutions... my worries would be they getting ODed on too many flies rather than not enough, haha

I know some are supposed to go dormant but mine doesn't get much of a cooldown.

I would get some Sundews (droseras) if I were you - they seem to be able to catch and handle more gnats, at least in my experience they've been a little better at it.

Clearly though, YMMV, we all seem to be doing things differently.
I have always heard never fertilize carniverous plant and always sit them in distilled water so that's just what I've done.

Eric,
It is actually a Lpths. calodycton. I got it at the WOC. It actually went through a rough time. It lost 4 of its 5 leaves, but it has put a new leaf since then. It have kept it alive for the past 2 months.

I have it mounted, surrounded with moss and sitting on pebbles inside a clear container. I fill out the container up to an inch of tap water every 3-4 days. The container is almost in front of the fan so it has a little air.

It has been recuperating and hopefully it would bloom some of these days :)

Good job I massacred mine! :(

hey guys, do butterwarts in general need a cooldown period for them to live for a long time?

The temperate ones probably do, but I don't think the Mexican types need a cool down. At least not all of them....

I grow mine "hard" - no standing water! In other words, they be fairly easy going....

New one at the office caught a couple of gnats this weekend :) finally settling in and getting the dewy thing going :)

I went to the greenhouse at my university and they had a Pinguicula caudata with very similar leaves to yours. No blooms on it though ....doh! I had my camera but I took no photos

Latest posts

Back