My Magic Lantern

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Paph Magic Lantern is a primary cross between delenatii and micranthum. Usually this cross inherits the inflated micranthum pouch , while the delenatii increases petal size and flower roundness.

I bought this one last year as a blooming size plant but it seemed to want to grow a new set of leaves before blooming, only one old leaf is left. The bloom is still cupped. I hope it will still open wide and flat. It's one of my lovelier paphs I've bloomed so far regardless of how the bloom will continue to develop. The days have been quite hot during the bud development (I read perhaps they bloom better when it is cooler). I'm glad the bud didn't blast during the vaccation, I was worried.
DSCN1683.jpg

DSCN1691.jpg

Very pretty! The flower looks huge, perhaps that's partly the camera angle? I'm finding that if my delenatii blooms in the summer heat, it won't always open fully, the scent isn't a nice either.

The white is especially striking on this one! :) Different, in a very nice way!

You 2 [Kevin & Wendy] seem pretty taken by Paph. Magic Lantern's. My recommendation would be to get one. They aren't that easy to bloom but they're almost indestructable and divide easily. Also check out Paph. Kevin Porter and Paph. Lola Bird. :D

Already have one. Aren't easy to bloom? I got mine as a BS plant in April, and I'm not sure if it had a bud already started, but it started to spike soon after. The reason I have been asking about the parents, is that I have delenatii 'Smoothie' x micranthum 'Pink Lantern', and it turned out quite pale -I like it, but not what I was expecting. I thought they were mostly darker. Anyway, I thought others might have this same cross, and wondered what the variance was in the cross.

There can be quite a variance in any cross, some people purchase flasks for that reason. Some may be fortunate to see a bunch in bloom at the same time & then can pick out what they like best. I'm not sure if temps would have an effect on ML color?
I haven't been able to rebloom my ML, I'm not about to touch Kevin Porter or Lola Bird, I understand they're harder.

Already have one. Aren't easy to bloom? I got mine as a BS plant in April, and I'm not sure if it had a bud already started, but it started to spike soon after. The reason I have been asking about the parents, is that I have delenatii 'Smoothie' x micranthum 'Pink Lantern', and it turned out quite pale -I like it, but not what I was expecting. I thought they were mostly darker. Anyway, I thought others might have this same cross, and wondered what the variance was in the cross.
Kevin,
Here is one of the MLs that bloomed for me this past spring. It is a cross of Smoothie X Pink Tuba
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8314

Latest posts

Back