My little "pet"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just love the jumping spiders. Having cats - not catts, well I do have catts..I digress here - it is tricky and every now and again they meet. During a rescue, Sis always tells the little jumpers that they have enough eyes they should have seen the ***** coming. As for wolf spiders, really like these big dudes. They are especially 'sacred' as they enjoy dining on brown recluse spiders. The later being a huge problem where we live.

I used to train "pet" jumping spiders to take flies out of my fingers.

These are really cool and many are so pretty.

Here's a spider that I've got in my shade house.. Its not a type of jumping spider..But its so colourfull..:p

DSCN1238.jpg

I think so... Maybe not "thee" golden orb as there are many species in S. Africa, but it definitely looks like a Nephila.

If you visit Madagascar they are EVERYWHERE and HUGE. I have never felt quite so uncomfortable as walking about in the woods there.

I'm told they are pretty harmless and largely unreactive. They will totally ignore you unless you mess with them. Then they move like lightning.

As for wolf spiders, really like these big dudes. They are especially 'sacred' as they enjoy dining on brown recluse spiders. The later being a huge problem where we live.

I have a feeling there are a bunch here, (recluse) as certain times of year brown spiders start trucking through my upstairs apartment (and I fetch the Lysol or vacuum cleaner)

At my former greenhouse employer, at times when we were up on the plastic greenhouse roofs, I'd see different jumping spiders wandering around up there. Once in a while I'd even see small jumpers attacking and eating tiny jumpers. Seems like there'd be a 'code' where one jumper wouldn't bother another, but I guess in the 'desert' anything is fair game :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back