my little ocean - nano reef

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
I started a 10 gallon reef oct 2007 and its been running quite smoothly so far. I've spent quite some time reading up about them last year since I always wanted one. I took some photos today. Some snails decided to lay eggs and I have tons of babies on the glass now. Sorry I've loaded many photos
DSCN4593.jpg

my clown goes into its torch coral host as soon as I get close for a picture. He's very attached to it now. I used the torch coral to substitute for an anemone, since anemones require larger systems
DSCN4595.jpg

This is my fav. zooanthid colony. I love its colour
DSCN4541.jpg

One of my two blue legged hermit crabs decided to get up close for a photo too.
DSCN4567.jpg

My skunk cleaner shrimp gets really hyper when it comes to feeding. It even tries to clean my hands when I need to put them in there. Its quite sensory system is quite developed. I also have a Echinaster starfish that is hidden in a corner. Luckly it takes flakefood or it would starve slowly in such a small system.
DSCN4655.jpg

I recently bought this Acanthastrea (a fragment from the great barrier reef). They are closing collection from the reef again in Australia according to the coral vendor and I noticed all vendors have imported from Australia currently. Hopefully it will colour up in the weeks to come b/c some are quite beautiful and become valuable
DSCN4534.jpg

I also set up a 2.5 gallon pico reef for my desk recently. Sorry about the glare, it got sunny in my room and of course I keep orchids there too. My firefish goby is quite shy but I managed to get a photo of him. Its a newer tank so its not filled in yet.
DSCN4626.jpg

...now time for my weekly water changes

Fren, that looks fantastic! We'd love a marine set up one day but can't really commit to it at this point. Love looking at other people's pictures though.

:clap:AWESOME!!!! :drool::drool: It's my understanding the smaller the tank, the harder the upkeep! Isn't it amazing how we are addicted to other expensive hobbies? Your photos are great!

Gorgeous! What kind of lighting do you use on those tanks? I have PC's over mine. That acan looks great! I've seen some gorgeous ones, but they cost way more than I can afford (paphs and reefs are a dangerous combination....) Take care, Eric

I use coralife with is PC. I think it seems corals are more expensive in Canada but I may be wrong. I didn't get any new orchids during the setting up of the tank nor did I visit orchid forums, or I would be corupt.

My acan was $35 and it was a frag from an originally large piece. I thought it would have been more. The LSF imported two colonies of them and the first red one sold for $600, far beyond my price!

I'm not sure if upkeep is harder with small systems b/c I never had a large saltwater tank. I think religous waterchanges are a must though. I only do 10% water change on the 10 gal and 25% on the 2.5 gallon with a turkey baster. Other than that I have to add calcium too and the occasional iodine,strontium

The protein skimmer helps a lot with waste removal. I wish I could use one with a freshwater tank.

Nice tanks you got there Fren! The corals and the sea creatures are so pretty :clap:

I miss my 200 gal. salt tank, but I don't miss the work! I had a small tank set-up also, very similar to yours where I had seahorses. Very cool. I sold the tank after I had my daughter. I couldn't keep up with the work. My favorite was a cowfish that would eat out of my hand and nibble my fingertips.

Fren- that was a great price on the Acan! Cheaper than any I've seen in NYC. Don't bother with any supplements other than calcium...they're a waste of money and you don't need them at all. your water changes take care of everything, and your skimmer won't remove them. If you use a calcium supplement like B-ionic (is it available in Canada?), you will be getting trace elements along with the Ca and carbonates. As for protein skimmers...you can use them in freshwater...if you have a pH above 8! Take care, Eric

Nice!! I like to have one but I don't have the patience to maintain it. Also, here in Reno Sea water is expensive!

Ramon:)

I use calcium chloride because it is fast (I read somewhere it causes excess Cl ions but the ocean water is around half Cl ions anyway right?). I also have calcium hydroxide too.

hmmmm I have a 80 gallon cichlid tank which can have a pH of 8. It was my pretend saltwater tank with fake coral decor.

The skimmer may work on your cichlid tank. As for the calcium chloride...no good by itself. The calcium can only be used if there is an equivalent amount of carbonate ions. A 2 part solution like B-ionic (Kent also makes one) provides appropriate doses of both carbonates ("alkalinity") along with CaCl. Calcium hydroxide ("kalkwasser") does provide both ions...but unless you have a tremendous amount of evaporation, you will not be able to add enough (its used as the top off water...usually through a slow drip to prevent huge pH increases). I'd look into getting the 2 part solutions...a tank as small as yours will not need much...I currently dose my 55 gal tank with 25 mL of each part, my 30 gal tank gets 15 mL of each part. Get an alkalinity test kit...Salifert makes a good one, and test for carbonates, which can fluctuate rapidly. The Ca will be very high, and remain there, so Ca testing is almost unnecessary. take care, Eric

You're right about how carbonate fluctates. I have also added small amounts of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to add carbonate, though never at the same time with CaCl (was thinking calcium could precipitate as calcium carbonate, if NaHCO3 and CaCl were put together,so I never tried. i might be wrong I haven't studied chemistry for a while). I hope that baking soda is not bad...

Incredible Fren! I never would have thought a marine tank could be set up in only 10 gallons. All the ones I've seen have been 30 or more. Makes me consider changing my 10 gallon freshwater! I can go to the ocean to get water!

Latest posts

Back