My late blooming Paph. charlesworthii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
A first bloomer I bought from Cloud's last year. It's pretty but the pouch is off-center. I think this was due to the fact that half of the dorsal developed "outside the bud" while the half was tucked in the synsepal as usual. Hoping for a better bloom next year. Still, I'm happy!

P.s. you may notice that some of the older leaves have some yellowish crusty parts. Do u guys have any idea what might have caused this? Thanks!

#1, I would be checking the potting mix and roots, I think they may be well both be on the way out. The plant is showing signs both being poor and high nutrient problem. Probably a little over potted for charlesworthii also. Get the flower off quick and investigate. Very nice flower though.

#1, I would be checking the potting mix and roots, I think they may be well both be on the way out. The plant is showing signs both being poor and high nutrient problem. Probably a little over potted for charlesworthii also. Get the flower off quick and investigate. Very nice flower though.

It's just repotted. It came from a 3 1/2 square pot rootbound. This is the smallest pot I could fit it into. It was underwatered before I believe.

Ok, that covers the main problem and answered a lot of questions. To solve the current issue now is to prevent the loss of the plant. From what you said explains the plants problems, mix and water / food. I would still get the flower off ASAP. The plant needs a boost to get going and combat the leaf decay. I would make sure it doen't dry out but not get it too wet. When it needs watering, I would use sugar water, plain old white suger, about 4 or 5 teaspoons per pint or double per litre of water. Sugar makes a ready to eat food and stimulant thats easy for the roots to take up and the plant to use readily. Chemical hormone stimulants are ok but the plant still has to break them down, sugar water still has to be broken down by the plant but it takes less effort. If the dark patches on the leaves start to show signs of rotting, don't cut them off, just use a clean knife or sharp object to poke holes through the rot area. Letting air into those areas will dry it out and should stop it spreading. You can dust with a fungicide powder or cinnamon but that make not help any better than just air.

Latest posts

Back