My last $5 for the year. Where am I???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

This is a game.
Give correct answer, and we donate $5.00 to the forum.

Sorry cnycharles, you are not allowed to participate. :)

Name the place where I took this image.
One guess each.
Thirty hour time limit. It is 9:30am right now.

About the shot, it is two images merged.
I used bracketed exposure, tripod, remote trigger.
It is my first attempt at a composite.
I, like you, can see the merge. But I'm not earning here:p

Good luck.

Get your ass to Mars.

Scenes from Total Recall were shot at Valley of Fire.
We got there around 1:00pm the first day. Weather was extremely iffy. But those clouds could add plenty of punch to a photo.
We stayed in the car, or very close to it, because of the threatening storm.
Never found Elephant Rock that day. And I think we left by 3:30 because the skies just opened up.

The next day we got the jump on it. Left LV an hour before sunrise, and while driving north on 15, we get shuffled into detour. Not many choices in that neck of the woods.
At the end of the detour, there is bottleneck of truckers. The detour is washed out. We had a narrow strip and went for it. The Chinese tour bus behind us didn't.
Finally we get to 15. And there is gas station(tribal) with rest stop. Well, Rt.15 was washed out like never before. I'm thinking this was Sept. 8th or 9th.

If we stayed at that park till dark, we may have been one of the 40+ rescues along 15. The locals swore the highway is never down for more than a couple of days.
But I think it was closed for 9 days.

It was after 9:00am that we got to the park. Rocks looked like they were on fire because of the wetness.
This rock is easy to miss with the sweat rolling down ones head. It is right next to road.

Thank you for your participation Tyrone. I thought I was going to start the new year a winner. Lol.
Donation will be made in a moment.
:)

Did you google "rocks that look like elephant"?

There is a photography book around here -
Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres
I think vol. 1 is the Utah book(my favorite).
$15 used off amazon.

Triple A (the roadside assistance company) has a great map of the region.
It is their Indian map. Shows everything. No way to get lost in car.
Let me know if you have a problem getting the map.

Happy New Year Tyrone.

This is a game.
Give correct answer, and we donate $5.00 to the forum.

Sorry cnycharles, you are not allowed to participate. :)

Hey! :)

Name the place where I took this image.
One guess each.
Thirty hour time limit. It is 9:30am right now.

About the shot, it is two images merged.
It is my first attempt at a composite.
I, like you, can see the merge. But I'm not earning here:p

actually i can't see the merge, but i just fried some onions and there is some particulate matter interfering with normal operation - nice pic and merge :)

I've seen the valley of fire in new mexico but haven't seen this yet. lots of volcanic stuff in arizona and new mexico

That mountain range in the background + the sky looks like they might from another picture.

Never heard of this rock before, so it was educational. :D

Mutant- it is two pics. But the same exact view.
Can't move the camera. One presets the settings, so I can squeeze off three or more shots without disturbing the position of camera.
This was a two shot composite. I meter for the rock. I already know the sky is 2-stops difference. Set the dial for 2-stops(this was a three shot setup. I throw one away).
Wait 10 seconds. Shoot. Wait 10 seconds. Shoot. Wait 10 seconds. Shoot.
It takes more than 2 seconds for the vibrations to go away.
I have remote trigger. Don't have to touch camera until I'm done.
So now I have 3 files of the same shot. Dark, average, and light.
Dark- sky looks like I have sunglasses on, but the rock is way too dark.
average- Rock looks cool, but the sky is blown out.
light- just about everything is blown out, discard.

Open up in software and combine favorable exposures.
I have no problem admitting this took longer than expected for the first one.

Mutant- it is two pics. But the same exact view.
Can't move the camera. One presets the settings, so I can squeeze off three or more shots without disturbing the position of camera.
This was a two shot composite. I meter for the rock. I already know the sky is 2-stops difference. Set the dial for 2-stops(this was a three shot setup. I throw one away).
Wait 10 seconds. Shoot. Wait 10 seconds. Shoot. Wait 10 seconds. Shoot.
It takes more than 2 seconds for the vibrations to go away.
I have remote trigger. Don't have to touch camera until I'm done.
So now I have 3 files of the same shot. Dark, average, and light.
Dark- sky looks like I have sunglasses on, but the rock is way too dark.
average- Rock looks cool, but the sky is blown out.
light- just about everything is blown out, discard.

Open up in software and combine favorable exposures.
I have no problem admitting this took longer than expected for the first one.
So I was right while I was wrong? The sky and the rocks in the merged image are from different pictures/files with different exposure, even if it's the exact same view? Or? I honestly don't get it... :confused:

I blame language barrier and no experience with this type of photographing/photo manipulation for my confusion.

Oh, and Erythrone's Vanda falcata. :rollhappy:

I have followed your posts. I am surprised you are bi lingual. If I didn't know any better, I thought you were from New Jersey. :p

Focus on this.
The sky and the rocks in the merged image are from different pictures/files with different exposure, even if it's the exact same view?

What I didn't do- shoot the rock on Monday. Then go shoot a cloudy Friday sky(from anyplace) and combine them.

I hope the above example can drive that nail home. And we both know, I'm still gonna call them Neos. :)

Combining different exposures is one of the oldest techniques in Photography. Early photographers had to do it because their film could not capture the range of tones in long tonal scale scenes. You did an excellent job. In fact, of all the photos I've seen on the web of this formation, yours is the best by far.

That mountain range in the background + the sky looks like they might from another picture.

Yes. You are right. That is where the seam is.
I got confused with the words "from another picture".

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I owe you a beer.

Latest posts

Back