My kovachii X's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Back in August I bit the bullet and bought 2 seedlings of Phrag wallisii 'Rapunzel' x kovachii 'Tupac Amaur' + a compot of Phrag longifolium x kovachii 'Goliath' from Chuck Acker.
I wanted to see how they would do before posting. I have been pleasantly surprised..like all compots you have plants that take off and others that are slower, but they have all grown well even the tiny baby that was attached . The wallisii X has been very vigourous with the largest plant even starting a second growth !
These spent the remainder of the summer outside, watered with rain water and fertilized every watering. Since bringing them inside for the winter, they sit on a South/West window sill, watered with our city water and fertilized with every watering. They are in a mix with bark, charcoal, coconut husk,etc., and I recently top dresed them with oyster shell. They are in a cup with a reservoir, similar to setting them in water..only the water is in the cup !
I thought you might enjoy seeing how they are doing.
phragkx.jpg

phragkx3.jpg

phragkx2.jpg

Yes, these are very nice growing phrags, so similar to a Phrag boissierianum specie or hybrids...

I think Mr Fisher should tell people what were the DNA results after the "mistakes in the lab" at this particular peruvian exporter of flask and Hybrids of Phrag kovachii.

The WOC is very close and orchid buyers should know all data before buying their dear future plants.

I'm not sure what Isaias is trying to say but the wallisii x Pk certainly looks like a Pk hybrid. Is there still a question about what's what?

I think Mr Fisher should tell people what were the DNA results after the "mistakes in the lab" at this particular peruvian exporter of flask and Hybrids of Phrag kovachii..

:confused: To my knowledge/understanding there is only one lab that kovachii & it's hybrids came out of. I am under the impression that that 'mistake' is old history at this point, is there something more current you're referring to?

The WOC is very close and orchid buyers should know all data before buying their dear future plants.

:confused:What is 'all this data' you're referring to? I've purchased from 2 different vendors in the U.S., the reciept lists a cross # & Peruflora. I'm not sure if I made a wise purchase?

There are lots of thoroughly annoyinig threads here because one of the labs [there are more than one] sold some products as Pk which were later found to be mis-labled. If you have the product I think you can get a resolution.

Your fine, hes just trying to stir up some s h i t.

Peruflora sold some mislabled flasks to Chuck Acker and Jerry Fisher. The flasks were supposed to be pure kovachii species, but DNA test proved that they were in fact kovachii hybrids, but which hybrid won't be known until they bloom. It was blamed on a mistake in thier lab.

All the flasks sold as hybrids from Peruflora have bloomed out correctly as far as I know. To my knowledge, kovachii x wallisii has not bloomed yet.

Thats what he's getting at.

Kyle

PS. There are 2 labs making flasks for export in Peru, Peruflora and Alfredo Manrique (who is good friends with Isaias)

Yes, these are very nice growing phrags, so similar to a Phrag boissierianum specie or hybrids...

I think Mr Fisher should tell people what were the DNA results after the "mistakes in the lab" at this particular peruvian exporter of flask and Hybrids of Phrag kovachii.

Please explain ..I bought these from Chuck Acker ,and as people have stated I think the matter was resolved and do not belive Mr. Acker would sell plants that are not PK hybrids !

All we know in Peru is that Peruflora was never able to show CITES authorities a single plant of PK with seed pods or even flowers at their inspections.
We also know that local illegal collectors were selling Phrag boissierianum seed pods as PK sed pods. Nobody at that time knew how the seed pods of PK look like and this collector told the story about growers in Lima (you all know who they are) bought these seed pods and offer "legally" their flask to export.
If you consider this "some ****" Mr Kyle...please grow up and do not show your miseries in this excellent forum.
Have a nice week, enjoy your orchids, even you " Mr Kiye"....you have the right to enjoy your orchids, no matter how you obtained them...

All we know in Peru is that Peruflora was never able to show CITES authorities a single plant of PK with seed pods or even flowers at their inspections.
We also know that local illegal collectors were selling Phrag boissierianum seed pods as PK sed pods. Nobody at that time knew how the seed pods of PK look like and this collector told the story about growers in Lima (you all know who they are) bought these seed pods and offer "legally" their flask to export.
If you consider this "some ****" Mr Kyle...please grow up and do not show your miseries in this excellent forum.
Have a nice week, enjoy your orchids, even you " Mr Kiye"....you have the right to enjoy your orchids, no matter how you obtained them...

Isaias. In all fairness, Kyle resides in Canada, and there is only one source for PK up there (Peru-Flora does not export pk to Canada).
So if Kyle has any Pk species or hybrid he would have obtained them from the GREEN CANYON ORCHIDS (which is from Alfredo Manrique)

No, I don't. Could you please clarify? Thanks.

Paphlady, there are some old threads that you should peruse, if you're interested in the kovachii saga. If you do a search under kovachii you'll have some fine reading:>

Isaias. In all fairness, Kyle resides in Canada, and there is only one source for PK up there (Peru-Flora does not export pk to Canada).
So if Kyle has any Pk species or hybrid he would have obtained them from the GREEN CANYON ORCHIDS (which is from Alfredo Manrique)
Sorry, Hien. Kyle gets around besides in Canada. Green Canyon Orchids only sells kovachii, the species. He does not sell kovachii hybrids. I believe Zyphrus Orchids has the rights to the Manrique hybrids in Canada. And I don't think Manrique has these particular hybrids, but you could check with either Zyphrus or Glen Decker about this.

Latest posts

Back