My kovachii X's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You see Mr Kyle:
"...no tires piedras al cielo cuando tienes techo de vidrio..."Enjoy your orchids

You are right Dot. I just check Zephyrus, and they have kovachii hybrids.

Just to show that if you do not peruse internet orchid sites for a while, you are left behind in information & goodies.

I always thought Green Canyon has the exclusive (pk species & hybrids) right up in CANADA. I did not realize that he only concentrates on pk species.
However, those list on zyphyrus are exactly crosses from Glen & Manrique.
So there is no Peru-flora stuff up in Canada yet (that still seems to be correct)

You are right Dot. I just check Zephyrus, and they have kovachii hybrids.

Just to show that if you do not peruse internet orchid sites for a while, you are left behind in information & goodies.

I always thought Green Canyon has the exclusive (pk species & hybrids) right up in CANADA. I did not realize that he only concentrates on pk species.
However, those list on zyphyrus are exactly crosses from Glen & Manrique.
So there is no Peru-flora stuff up in Canada yet (that still seems to be correct)
PeruFlora has been to many shows outside Peru, and Kyle may have gone to one (or more) of them. I think he has also travelled to Peru -- didn't he say so in one of his posts?

Not that it matters, But I have kovachii seedlings from Peter Crozen. I have flasks of hybrid from Peru FLora that I got from Peruflora while in Germany and legally imported the flasks to Canada. The plants are still in flask (replated). Growing Phrags in flask past the 1st replate does not seem to be Perufloras forte.

I also thought that Peter Crozen had a monopoly on anything Alfredo Manrique produced in Canada. I was surprised to see Zypherus selling those hybrids. Not sure if some sort of deal was worked out. There are other (legal) ways to get those plants into Canada. I don't care, just happy to see the plants avaialble in Canada. We are a small market and sometimes get left behind. I also believe they are sold out.

I have been to Peru. I have been to some of Perufloras greenhouses and their lab. Not that it matters or anyone cares, but I have met and had lunch with Alfredo in Ecuador. I have seen kovachii in the wild.

In personal, face to face communication, with Jerry Fischer I was told that the plants that were bought as pure kovachii but turned out not to be PK, do have kovachii as one parent (they are hybrids with kovachii) the other parent could not be determinned with out further (expensive) tests.

Althou anything is possible, I have not heard of any pure kovachii coming out of Peruflora ending up being pure boissarianum (only the hybrids that Ackers and OL have). Correct me if I'm wrong. That is a rumour (based on the above).

That is pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Isias is (obviously) much closer to the source, being close friend with Alfredo Manrique.

Well Done Mr Kyle. Good Resume Of Data From Your Side.
This Is The Proper Way To Clear Things Up.
Only Time Will Tell What Is Going To Bloom.
My Personal Approach Is That We All Should Work Together, Including Peruflora To Avoid More Habitat Destruction And Illegal Selective Depredation Of The Habitat.
It Took 25 Years To See Phrag Besseae Back Into The Original Habitat Where It Was Discovered, With Some Help Of Local Collectors Who Rescued 5 Plants And Kept Them In A Very Protected Natural Site.
Now It Has Taken Only 5 Years For Phrag Kovachii To Be Available Worldwide, Legally. It Is Good To Know That All Efforts Are Directed To Stop Illegal Collecting At The Habitat.
For All We Lucky Orchidist That Have Visited The Habitat Know That We Can Work For Habitat Protection And Legal Propagation Of The Specie. The Specie Is Saved From Extinction, But It Is My Humble Opinion That It Is Already Saved At The Opriginal Habitat.
I Strongly Encourage All Efforts Of People Around The World To Show Everybody That We Can Mak It...if We Work Together, Not Protecting Any Particular Interest But The Species And Their Habitats.
I Have To Thank All Good People Working Silent, Just Working...but Doing Something Good For Future Generations.
Have A Nice Weekend And Enjoy Your Orchids...i Did In The Past, I Do And I Will Do Foerever.
veritas Illuminatio Mea

Latest posts

Back