My introduction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBreed

Pouch aficionado
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been quietly reading the posts, learning and enjoying the wonderful pics posted here for over a year now. At the same time started growing my orchid collection, mainly Phrags and lately Paphs (multi flowering type). Now, I’m starting to have some things to share so I decided it’s time to participate more actively here.

I have been hooked to orchids for many years but moving through several cities and countries and a heavy workload reduce my opportunities for keeping a collection. Not sure if any of these have changed now since I continue having a busy-busy schedule with a lot of international travel but at least for the last years I have been living in the same place, so I will give it a try. Besides, I have a forgiving wife that has seen how little by little I conquered one by one all windows at home with racks and tables holding my plants, and who now is suggesting I should start thinking in “something” outside in the garden to keep the orchids safe; and by the way, she waters them when I’m away traveling. Lucky me.

Gardening, traveling, music in general but specially opera and tango and watching soccer, beside orchids, occupies whatever free time I have.

For a living I work in the seed industry, I guess I can continue calling myself a plant breeder, that’s what I studied and worked all my life. Trained in school as a wheat breeder but then started my career as sunflower breeder working for a major seed company. After many years, many parent lines, and several commercial released hybrids I changed job and crop. Moved to Texas and became a hybrid rice breeder. After several commercial released hybrids, and I guess because I’m getting older, I now spend most of my time at meetings, travelling between Texas and South America and several other rice destinations evaluating rice genetics and helping other younger breeders to do their job. Love my profession, getting each day more interesting not only for what we do in the field but also because the rapidly evolving fields of molecular breeding, genomics, bioinformatics, etc. are opening many windows that let us see things that before we could not.

Look forward to learn from all of you and from the breeders in this group in your quest for beauty, aesthetics and harmony. Also from all of you that are up for the challenge of bringing a piece of nature into our homes and greenhouses and succeed maintaining and multiplying healthy plants to produce exceptional flowers.

Thanks for your warm welcome,

Jose

Hello Jose, and welcome to Slippertalk! Sounds like you've had an interesting life with the grain breeding. Maybe some of that genetics know-how might find a place here? Anyway good to have you with us..
Mike

welcome! I worked for part of a year at a university for a soybean breeder as the assistant tech though myself didn't get into any breeding selection (he was mainly working on roundup ready and doing state testing for those who were curious about different varieties for that state)

WELCOME Jose! Glad you joined us! When you go to SA to you get a chance to see orchids in their natural habitat?

WELCOME Jose! Glad you joined us! When you go to SA to you get a chance to see orchids in their natural habitat?

No much, always on a tight schedule. I always think in taking some time off and do it. Now mainly travelling to southern Brazil, however, last July I was in a station we have in the state of Roraima on the Brazil side by a river limiting Guyana and drove around the rocky hills and mountains that extend from northern Brazil toward Venezuela where Phrag. lindleyanum evolved.

I have seen here and there some orchids in their natural environment but no phrags yet.

Jose

Glad to meet you Jose.

We run in close circles. I've been doing some work on wild rice (Zizania palustris) that I actually applied to orchid culture.

Plants is Plants!

Welcome to the family, I have a breeder in the family so I know that a lot of traveling is involved when you practice this profession.

Jose,
welcome to the group.
It is great to meet another plant breeder.
Interesting to see you've worked on so many different crops.
I work for a private breeding company based close to Cambridge in the UK.
We develop new vareties of cereals, oilseed rape, potatoes and sugar beet.
I work on winter barley for farmers in the UK and Europe and have been doing that for over 25 years.
You'll find a huge amount of information on growing orchids on this site and please ask questions if there is something specific you want to know,
Regards,
David

Welcome Jose!

I myself am also a fellow Plant Breeder! I got my Masters in Plant Breeding in the Netherlands, and moved to Minnesota where I got my Ph.D. in Ornamental Plant Breeding (My thesis was on New Guinea Impatiens). Now I am working at Orchids Limited, and am in charge of the Lab, and do most of the breeding work here. Who knew when I started studying Plant Breeding, that I would end up breeding orchids in cold Minnesota!!

Robert

Hello all

Nice to meet you all and fellow breeders David and Robert.

Rick Mad Virologist, we met at the Galveston Orchid Soc. meeting last June when you talked about growing slipper orchids, I bought a Phrag longifolium hincksianum 'Crooked Creek' from you. It's doing well but a couple of years still before flowering. Glad to get together sometime, I would like to get some suggestions from you about having a greenhouse in this very hot and humid area and succeed growing Phrags and Paphs.

Jose

Back