My hope for a dark.....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you get more lucky than I did, I purchased 1 of these in 2005 and it turned out to be anything but dark, and also the ugliest vietnamense I had even seen/bloomed :poke:

Yes, it could be much better both in shape and color. It is interesting how its appearance changes dramatically under different lighting. Will be looking at it only under artificial lighting....

8ab68a7308ba.jpg

86163bb50be6.jpg

That is amazing! P. vietnamense doesn't tend to have perfect form, at least in the photos I've seen. But I see it as part of the charm! I think the colors are magnificent, especially on the pouch (the spotting around the rim is especially nice).

Thank you!

P. vietnamense doesn't tend to have perfect form, at least in the photos I've seen
Yes, the ideal petals are rare, but I thought the dorsal wouldn't curl back so much. Well, flat dorsal is rare too... :)

especially on the pouch (the spotting around the rim is especially nice)
Here is a closer photo of it. It is cute indeed.

24208b4c64d6.jpg

Really, quite nice for a vietnamense. Your color is deeper than average, so while it is not deep red, it is nicely colored. Your form is also better than average for vietnamense. I think because most vietnamense have form "issues" it will be one species that the number of flower quality awards to it will always be low compared to species like bellatulum, niveum or fairrieanum.

Yes, it could be much better both in shape and color. It is interesting how its appearance changes dramatically under different lighting. Will be looking at it only under artificial lighting....

:):) the color is good, the shape is ok!!! Again, there is much color on it!!!

(waiting for my 3 'normal form' to bloom, there is a difference in spike growth +/- 2 months from 1-2-3!) Jean

I think because most vietnamense have form "issues" it will be one species that the number of flower quality awards to it will always be low compared to species like bellatulum, niveum or fairrieanum.

Do you think the form issues are just because limited breeding has been done with them so far? Maybe they will get better in future generations?

Love the pouch, period! It's definitely a keeper -- I agree with the others about the form and color being quite good for this hybrid.

Do you think the form issues are just because limited breeding has been done with them so far? Maybe they will get better in future generations?

Some species orchids are just not as close to the AOS 'idealized orchid standard' as others. With vietnamense we are only at the F1 generation from the wild for blooming size plants. Many straight from the wild Paph bellatulum, and Paph godefroyae have gotten awarded. This is because what is natural for a species may, or may not, agree with the "idealized aesthetics" of the AOS judging system. It is just a reality, some species have many awards, some species have reatively few awards. Look at Paph appletonianum, there are a few awards, but no where near as many as there are for bellatulum.

I suspect a few generations of line breeding will greatly improve Paph. vietnamense. I would say in about 10 years there will be a flush of awards.

I do like your plant, quite lovely. The good thing is that there are no big colour breaks, some of this species has large colour breaks on their pouches.

Thank you all for comments! Finally, I had an oppportunity to look at it in the sunshine. The forecasts were cloudy with snow for the next two weeks, but I wanted the sun so much, that probably someone there just gave it to me! So, enjoy the third photo version, in the sun. Also, the petals have dropped a bit and now it looks more charming. Now finally I can say that I love it.

7ddf8ed93c74.jpg

Latest posts

Back