My hope for a dark.....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow

Reaction score
Bought in 2007 and was marked as dark x dark. Hope it will really have a nice color and won't blast. Otherwise I will have to wait for next bloom few more years... The fern arrived together with the plant as a tiny roots with small bud between the paph's roots and I didn't through it away. Looks like they like each other.

80995c815dbe.jpg

ferns are usually considered "weeds" and grow MUCH quicker than the Paph with a vigorous roots system that will eventually out compete the paph for nutrients and space in the root zone.

if you like it so much maybe you should just unpot your paph after it blooms, seperate the two and repot them seperatley..
ps-i am stoked to see that people are growing paphs in the ukraine!!

Well, for some reason I'm not lucky with ferns and mosses. I tried 3 times with ferns and countless times with mosses and the results are poor. This fern is the only one that grows satisfactory, although couple of times it died back almost completely. I'm going to repot it after blooming and if there are too many fern roots I'll cut them off, and few leaves too. I won't let the fern to abuse my paph! But together they look so cute....

Is it true that you can generally tell the degree of color darkness on the flower by the color of the underside of the leaves?

PC200104.jpg

This is what I meant about the fern. It started out as a cute little 1/2 inch hitch-hiker on the pleuro! Yes, that is a one gallon water jug!

Good luck on the flower turning out to be dark! It's like opening up a present!

If you pitted a fern person with an orchid person, who would win?

Back