My Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayreon

OK, I know.. people use to have their greenhouses outside in the garden. I have mine in the basement :)

We changed heating system for our house and when the old oil tank was gone I got a perfect for my dream project.

It's been up and running for about half a year now and from what I can tell my plants like their new home. And I like my new "hidden forest" :thumbsup:

vaxthus.jpg

vaxthus2.jpg

house.jpg

There are still some empty spots so now I'm going to order some new plants... BERENICE.. add to basket...click.. DOLLGOLDI...click.....

I water the plants one by one above the blue bucket. It takes some time of course but that's the way I like to do it.

I'm curious. Why did you build a greenhouse structure inside the room when you could have used the whole room space? BTW it looks really nice and organized.

Very cool and original setup, good way to control the humidity I'm thinking. Your plants are very healthy, probably because of your watering methods. How often do you fertilize?

I second the remark about it being very tidy. You need to come clean my greenhouse. Or at least let me visit yours and spread some spilled leca and dead leaves around.

I would hit one of your supports with a hip or my hind end and all would come tumbling down. Not that I'm large, mind you. But things like that happen to me.

>I'm curious. Why did you build a greenhouse structure inside the room when you could have used the whole room space?

Haha, yes that is the first question I use to get.
Well, the basement is cold here. About 10 degrees celcius. With this setup I don't need to heat up the whole room. Right now it's 22 degrees inside and 13 utside the greenhouse. Saves me some money. Also perfect for my cool growing plants that I have in the window in the same room. Also, it's easier to get the humidity up of course.

And yes, the columns :) I wanted something good looking... and they are stable enough.

Great setup and pretty organized. How long does it take to water your plants? Watering one by one..... I do that with mine and there goes all my Saturday mornings :)

TutoPeru said:
Great setup and pretty organized. How long does it take to water your plants? Watering one by one..... I do that with mine and there goes all my Saturday mornings :)

I never water them all at once so I don't know.
I work at home just a few meters away from the green house, so whenever I need a break I go and water a few ones :)

OrchidNorth said:
Very cool and original setup, good way to control the humidity I'm thinking. Your plants are very healthy, probably because of your watering methods. How often do you fertilize?

I water them with rain water. I don't fertilize much. A little now and then.

That is a wonderful healthy looking green house set up. :clap: How many hours does it take you to water everything? Do you water them all in the same day or do you spread it out over several days. I'm curious because it takes me hours and hours to water my orchids one at a time at my sink from collected water I've stored in containers. :( I'm looking for new and better ways to do it.

I think I have only watered all plants at once one time... I think it took me 40 minutes. And I have more plants now, so probably 50 minutes or so. But as I said before, I water them a little now and then when I have a break from work.

Clever set-up! Would you consider setting your plants on humidity trays so that you wouldn't have to hold each one over a bucket when you water?

No, as I said, I like to hold them when I water them. I want to feel the weight to see if it's time to water or not.

Latest posts

Back