My gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Corbin

imgp0027smallestjp2.png
imgp0075smallestmh8.png

Here are a couple pictures of my gratrixianum with which I am fairly disappointed. Though I am still :rollhappy: that I got it to bloom. I ordered a “species” gratrixianum and expected to get a white dorsal with purple spots like all the pictures you see. Even the flower in the picture on the dealer's web page I purchased this plant from had a white dorsal with purple spots.

I have two questions: Does this flower fall within the normal variations one would expect to see for a “species” gratrixianum or is it different enough to warrant saying that this is not a true species plant?

Given that it is not typical of the species should I bother with cutting the flower off and letting it put its energy in to growing the other growth that it has started or should I just enjoy the flower for what it is?

The plant doesn't look like it's in distress, just leave the flower alone. The coloring is certainly not what I would call gratrixianum, maybe Paph. Trixivil (villosum x gratrixianum)??

Nice plant. I like it a lot.

EDIT: I don't know how I measured this plant's distress level from the photograph, just looked like its doing OK.

Can you e-mail the photo the vendor you bought it from? It looks like a hybrid to me. But, let others weigh in as I'm not an expert on this species.

If it is a natural hybrid of gratrixianum x villosum.
Then why disappoint. It is one of a kind.
If you look at the villosum on page 217 AOS magazine march 2007.
Natural Intraspecific Hybridazation by Aveyanov, your plant looks quite close to that particular villosum.

Can you e-mail the photo the vendor you bought it from?

I sent the pictures to the vendor (Parkside Orchids) and they agreed that though the plant and parts of the flower looked like a gratrixianum the flower definitely did not. They are sending me another plant free of charge. John has been very helpful to me regarding plants that I can grow under my conditions and with culture requirements of particular plants if I have not been able to find it elsewhere. :D I of course would be happy if any of the group also wanted to offer suggestions.

I sent the pictures to the vendor (Parkside Orchids) and they agreed that though the plant and parts of the flower looked like a gratrixianum the flower definitely did not. They are sending me another plant free of charge. John has been very helpful to me regarding plants that I can grow under my conditions and with culture requirements of particular plants if I have not been able to find it elsewhere. :D I of course would be happy if any of the group also wanted to offer suggestions.

isn't that nice, now you will have a gratrixianum and also another extra mutated one on the way to become a separate species.

I sent the pictures to the vendor (Parkside Orchids) and they agreed that though the plant and parts of the flower looked like a gratrixianum the flower definitely did not. They are sending me another plant free of charge.

Glad to hear it. And this is how any reputable grower would deal with it. Believe it or not, there are some vendors that will require you to send the plant back(you footing the bill for postage!) before sending out a replacement.

Back