My godefroyae & leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rs=w:1280

So Hien - this was awarded as Paph. godefroyae a couple weeks ago. It is what I call a heritage plant, it came out of a very old collection and is probably either wild collected or at most one generation away from wild. It isn't big (but it is a good grower). Is it godefroyae, leucochilum, or?

So Hien - this was awarded as Paph. godefroyae a couple weeks ago. It is what I call a heritage plant, it came out of a very old collection and is probably either wild collected or at most one generation away from wild. It isn't big (but it is a good grower). Is it godefroyae, leucochilum, or?
hi Rob, which award does this one garner?
it does not look too big, nor being bred to AOS phalaenopsis roundness specification yet, amazing you could keep a near wild heritage plant alive so long. Must have many growths by now?
By your question, what other species out there do you think it is close too? how closely does it fit a typo species description? I have a feeling that this species contains a lot of variations & closely related types that give you open end opportunities to pursuit various breeding lines.

Last edited:
hi Rob, which award does this one garner?
it does not look too big, nor being bred to AOS phalaenopsis roundness specification yet, amazing you could keep a near wild heritage plant alive so long. Must have many growths by now?
By your question, what other species out there do you think it is close too? how closely does it fit a typo species description? I have a feeling that this species contains a lot of variations & closely related types that give you open end opportunities to pursuit various breeding lines.

Low HCC (76 points? 75 maybe). Only around 6cm NS. I can't take too much credit for keeping it alive, I've only had it a couple years. It came from a gentleman who had been in business for ~40 years. I don't know how long he had it, but many of his paph species were imported back before CITES was enforced. Came to me struggling a bit, pretty infested with mealies. I've gotten it up to a 4" pot with maybe six or seven growths.

For me, I can't tell if it is leucochilum or godefroyae - or maybe something else entirely. It is awarded as godefroyae because that is what the tag says. It hasn't been paid for yet, so I can probably change it fairly easily if I were confident in the identification. I thought maybe thaianum might be an option. It is smaller growing than any other godefroyae I've had. I confess no particular expertise in brachys, at least the taxonomy part. I grow them better than I can tell them apart... :)

"For me, I can't tell if it is leucochilum or godefroyae - or maybe something else entirely. It is awarded as godefroyae because that is what the tag says. It hasn't been paid for yet, so I can probably change it fairly easily if I were confident in the identification. I thought maybe thaianum might be an option. It is smaller growing than any other godefroyae I've had. I confess no particular expertise in brachys, at least the taxonomy part. I grow them better than I can tell them apart... :)"

Going by the white pouch , it would be var. leucochilum , wouldn't it ?
but you are right, it looks quite close to Thaianum . How do the leaves look? Thaianum are very small though .
http://www.orchidroots.com/orchid/347767/species_detail/?tab=gal
by the way, while looking for thaianum photo examples, I notice Hungsheng updated their photos, looks like their godefroyae/leucochilum also show the new breeding lines look of the Thai and the Japanese.
click & scroll down to their godefroyae/leucochilum portion , you will see what I mean.
http://www.hungsheng.com.tw/index.php?module=product&mn=1&catid=2030

Last edited:
The latest photos have good color for plants in the USA. Thanks for sharing. If the plants are healthy then cross them as soon as possible, and if you have a flasker...

The latest photos have good color for plants in the USA. Thanks for sharing. If the plants are healthy then cross them as soon as possible, and if you have a flasker...
Eric, I will keep that in mind and try to pollinate all available blooms .leucochilum-Black Mountain.jpg
here is another new leucochilum line breeding from Alexej. He gave it the clone name "Black Mountain"
I try to clean up the busy background behind the flower before posting, not quite a good job around the leaves. The pattern has the Chinese brushwork painting effect to it.

Last edited:
A similar one Alexej names godefroyae "Dark", it also has the Chinese ink painting pattern . Same breeding line . Even one called leucochilum and one godefroyae, I believe they came from the same parentage .godefroyae-Dark.jpg

I love that: “heritage plant.” I would love to grow it if ever you divide out or self.

The next three photos are from this Red & Black edition godefroyae .
It is close to saturated color coverage, but one could still detect the lighter base in the background. The flower was slightly wilted at the time the pictures were taken, the petals were no longer spread out fully
godefroyae Red & Black edition photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
This breeding line is larger then the Vulcano line, in my opinion the vulcano line looks more like tulip flower in shape, these are more open & flatter.
Evidently however , different strokes for different folks, because the price of the vulvano plants could be as high or even higher than the Red/Black edition . One would be surprised to find the cost for the plant with the not wide open flat flower to be higher. godefroyae Red & Black edition photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
The next 3 photos are of the godefroyae 'Darkside' clone.
It is quite hard to take picture of it and not getting the glare.
godefroyae 'Darkside' photo 1.JPG

this photo is closer to the true color of the flower
godefroyae 'Darkside' photo 2.JPG

This is most probably Paph. Greyi (godefroyae x niveum)!

Hien, you have a stunning collection of these Brachys! Congrats!

Hien, you have a stunning collection of these Brachys! Congrats!
Thanks, I feel that most paph species are so consistent that one does not have enough variation to collect more than a few plants (perhaps some samples of flower shape, size, maybe a few different color shades) This species however does lend itself to branching out in unexhaustive variation of line breeding.
If you look on the internet, there are very impressive greenhouses in Thailand with thousands and thousands of godefroyae/leucochilum breeding stud plants. Each of them has a different look
https://www.nanagarden.com/product/258290

Last edited:
Wow! All good quality in regards to color. Thanks for sharing.
you are welcome Eric, here is another one that I just finish cleaning up the background, this flower does have a thin white rim around the petals (it is not left over from clean up), you can tell from the dark hair below the white at bottom of the petals.RED SECT S1.jpg

by the way, there is a link to Joe Orchids (I believe this Thai breeder is a slippertalk member by the name misterpaphio), I posted on slippertalk before.
That website's link is no longer working.
Here is a different link to the same material in case you decide to import this species from Thailand .
http://siameseorchidfarm.com/Paph-godefroyae.html
If you could do it directly , imagine the immense choices you can pick from. In my case, I can only access to the limited plants that were sold in US shows or imported by US nurseries.

Latest posts

Back