My godefroyae & leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
side view of #5130

Attachments

• godefroyae MAEPING photo 3.JPG
    godefroyae MAEPING photo 3.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
top view of #5130

Attachments

• godefroyae MAEPING photo 4.JPG
    godefroyae MAEPING photo 4.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 4
Lovely and very impressive the outcome of this cross BlumenInsel, how the look of the progenies differs. Keep us posted.
Rudolf, I agree with you about the Blumen Insel cross result. The American breeders did not pay attention to the Brachy group, so the field has been dominated by japanese & Thai breeders lately, in my opinion, the majority of any plants result from their breeding already surpass the old awarded American plants.
Here is the batch of plants I got from Orchid Inn, at the time, Sam was the only vendor who imported these from the Thai breeder. Now a day, you could also find these from other ebay sellers. I did not buy more of them at the time , I just got 2 plants from each crosses to get a sample of variation since i don't know what the parents' flowers look like,
The first of 6 plants is cross PAS0605 "Bleeding Heart" x"Gold Fish"
PAS 0605 no1.JPG

Last edited:
This 2nd one also is cross PAS 0605 "Bleeding Heart" x"Gold Fish"

PAS 0605 no2.JPG

Last edited:
plant 3 is PAS 0606 "Gold Fish" x "No.1". I really like the water fountain pattern of this onePAS 0606-no 1.JPG

plant 5 is PAS 0607 "Dark" x "Fine Spots" , from the look of the result, it seems "Fine Spots" dominates the outcome PAS 0607-No1.JPG

Last edited:
plant 6 is PAS 0607 "Dark" x "Fine spots" , again I did not see anything dark in this result, may be the parents were chosen to breed round shape PAS 0607-No2.JPG

here is a group picture of 4 of them togethergroup picture.JPG for side by side comparison

Next are two plants with very compact growth habit and small leaves, horizontal shape flowers.
The whiter one , Thanh of Springwater got it for me at Tamiami show from Popow orchids.
leucochilum PD01.JPG

this second one I got from Chuck Acker back when he sold all of his breeding stud paphs , it has a clone name leucochilum 'Red'. You can see how tiny the leaves are compare to the flower . Notice how round and nice the pouches are from these two plants ( most bigger plants have skinny elongated pouches)
leucochilum 'RED' division Chuck Acker.JPG

This is a Thai breeding godefroyae (seller photo) , almost died in 2016 after blooming, not one leaf left, just roots, since then the regrow is weak . Hope it decides to live , because it is quite nice and very different from most plants I see on the current market. Notice the relative size of the pouch comparing to the petals . If it survives and re-blooms I will self it and donate the seeds to preserve this line.

or026-godefroyae-02.jpg
by the way, keep checking back, I will try to add all of the photos of this species in the collection to one thread.

Last edited:
Hien, very, very impressive all these godefroyae line breeding crosses. One is nicer than the other. The photo of the last one is from 2016, before the plant collapsed? If only roots survived it will be a hard job to do to keep it alive. Good luck.

Hien, very, very impressive all these godefroyae line breeding crosses. One is nicer than the other. The photo of the last one is from 2016, before the plant collapsed? If only roots survived it will be a hard job to do to keep it alive. Good luck.
I had quite a few plants which decided to perish, some painfully keepers. Some my own faults of not pay enough attention to their condition. But some definitely not, for example these 2 plants that I ordered around 2016 from orchidzone, I learned later on that the ownership was changing hand consequently were a little bit disorganize . Any way, the employee (probably new hired) packed the plants wet, when I say wet, it is not an exaggeration, the whole root zone is dripping . When the box was opened, the leaves of one plant already in full blown oozing smelly brown liquid, despite all the effort to save it, the poor creature died, the second plant was in bud, managed to bloom then died as well . An experience packer would send orchid plant with the root zone dry to prevent infection.
These plants supposedly to be what orchidzone called "Red Black type" and expensive. I never got a refund or had the chance to used a promise discount for future buying, I contacted orchidzone to inquire what discount they have in mind, but never heard from them again . So I decided to call it a lost and not pursuit of the vaguely promise discount. I am sure that the result of disorganizing was not with intention to treat the customer badly. Anyway this was the bloom, it did not achieve the full red saturation of the advertised example clone that they bloomed .OrchidZone.JPG

Last edited:
Anyway, too much off topic ramble, here are the next three from Popow orchids, when he participated in one of the Florida international shows . They were not in bloom at purchase. Slippertalk members could safely assume that the "Joe's Best" plants are good enough to buy un-bloomed if they see them on the market .JOE'S BEST NO1.JPG

Last edited:
The third one is very large, the petals have symmetrical fading pattern at the bottomleucochilum PT01.JPG

This one is from Rob of Littlefrogfarm Orchids , the breeding is"Yellow Eight Ball" x"Full Moon", Little Frog NO1.JPG Somehow, I remember Rob said they are from Orchid Inn's flask

Same breeding line as the previous one, bigger. However, I think the previous one looks betterLittle Frog NO2.JPG

Back