My experiment with seedlings,,

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These new primary hybrids seem to be good growers. All seedlings may have survived, I did not monitor. Hoping for better outcome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here' another 'King Kong' primary, deflasked the same time as the Julius above. I have two compots from the flask but I just have to re pot them one at a time. This is becoming work now.362e9e1f206360ee89d1d11bc08f6013.jpg

What's the experiment again? :confused:
Please read the beginning of my post. But to make it short, I was frustrated with the growth of these seedlings following the tips here of feeding low or even nothing. So I decided to feed them the same fertilizer I give to the matured plants,,, that is the result.
But the experiment is about growing these seedlings. Media used where different. But they all grew well on bark and lava rock and mix of the two with the same feeding.
In other words, no feed no growth. Duhhh, I said to myself.
For food, balanced N,K and Ca with micro nutrients supplements. The rest are pretty standard stuff.

I hava 27 seedlings in this flask. They were very skinny with long stems from flask. Not well done imho. But they recovered.49b4bc653ec700478230e57b4203af64.jpg

All looking very healthy and adapting well to your culture. Excellent success rate and your methods look spot on.

Gary
UK

Thanks. The next question is,, can i keep the momentum? We'll see. I need to place some markers.

I also feed every week, all of mine!! I'm confused about the no fertilizing advice, if you don't feed a living organism it will not grow

Your seedlings look great!! I do fertilize my seedlings a little less than my mature plants though

I got tired of making a separate mix. The roots were not dead.
If a seedling grows next to the mother plant in nature, that seedling will have access to what the mother gets.

This is Paph fairrieanum from Sam deflasked last April 2018. They came really small with tiny lanky stems. Again, I dont know if I got the last few one or they were just not that healthy.
The two compots have small rocks, perlite and sand as the media,, again just experimenting. They seems to adapt to it and recovered fast enough. The roots on some were really going deep but the rocks were loose so it was easy to take them out.
I think half is fairly sized out of the 24 seedlings.11bb92a9a779d60b7a2fd837189d1e0d.jpg8cd8734ea63e3a4db7d9e72a46c631ba.jpg954d9500d3f3eed8a855c88b221bec64.jpg

Latest posts

Back