My Experiment with Deflasking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
Before these I had always compotted all the seedlings into one pot ..this time I wanted to see what would happen if all the seedlings were placed individually in their own pots from deflasking
I figured there would be some people on ST who had the same crosses and we could cross compare.
I deflasked these 18 months ago. The first 8 months they grew in the greenhouse at really low light levels. After that I brought them under a 1000 watt halide about 7 feet away. They have only started taking off in the past 3 months. All are in 1.25 inch pots. Water every other day..humidity drops very low, 40 % during lights on and rises to seventy at night. I have noticed that multis don't seem to be adversely affected by low humidity as long as their roots get plenty of water. But these started out in high humidity for the first 8 months...I did notice that most of the runts died off (humidity?) when I brought them under the lights (except for the Hsinying anita..none of those have died, although some probably wont make it past the next repotting)
The Lady Roths seem to be doing the best, although the roths are showing more even consistency. The Hsinying anita is growing slow, as expected...and with a lot of diversity in growth
I think this method does not serve well for runts
Lady Roth (LI Jumbo Lady x roth New Horizon)

pEKtxHjOpuw3XSBA57O9yJLgl-pw3tclA2ol_P_JHLs=w952-h1268-no

roth (New Horizon x Raptor)

xlbz_LOIstQJRX8oOmWAJwkQbYnklC8UDXNGGd3GDII=w1632-h1224-no

Hsinying Anita (LI Jumbo Lady x adductum anitum Ace), there are two small compots in this one ..one was the biggest plants and the roots would not come apart without damage, the other was me running out of small pots

B8pgpYlcWzYV5lmQ2YjFJCZiuScN1Fi_N1IJZpIx0zY=w1632-h1224-no

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back