My entire Paph collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what's left of my collection. Some of them haven't decided if they're going to die or live just yet, so it might shrink even more.

Pahiopedilum:

Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus
Paph. babatumx sib ('Wesley' x 'Perfect Circle')
Paph. bundtii
Paph. callosum var. sublaeve
Paph. cerveranum
Paph. ciliolare
Paph. dayanum
Paph. hainanense
Paph. lawrenceanum 'Graue' BM/DOG
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
(hybrid within appletonianum/bullenianum species, probably)
Paph. schoseri x2
Paph. sukhakulii 'Graue'
Paph. superbiens var. curtisii
Paph. tonsum var. cupreum
Paph. urbanianum x sib ('Shine and Glory' x 'Rainbow')
Paph. venustum
Paph. veustum var. alba
Paph. violascens
Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self

Paphiopedilum:

Paph. fairrieanum 'Dawlish Warren' x self
Paph. gratrixianum
Paph. henryanum
Paph. villosum/gratrixianum
Paph. villosum
(New variety from China is what it says on the tag, it has turned out to be variegated at least)

Polyantha:
Paph. gardineri x sib 'Red Star' x 'Red Dragon'
Paph. lowii
Paph. parishii
Paph. roebelenii 'Kellerkind x self
Paph. rothschildianum 'Big Garden' x 'Lark' FCC/AOS
Paph. rothschildianum 'Mont Milais' x self
(not an actual MM selfling, I should call it 'Popow' instead so I know where I got it from)
Paph. rothschildianum x sib 'Oriental Red' x 'Mont Miliais' FCC/AOS
Paph. rothschildianum 'Starship' x self
Paph. wilhelminiae

Parvisepalum:
Paph. malipoense 'Giant' x self
Paph. delenatii var. vinicolor x sib ('Purple Lantern' x Purple Delight')

Primary hybrids:
Paph. Ashburtoniae (barbatum x insigne)
Paph. Delrosi (rothschildianum x delenatii var. vinicolor)
Paph. Michael Koopowitz (philippinense x sanderianum)
Paph. Pandion (venustum x fairrieanum)
Paph. Prine Edward of York (rothschildianum x sanderianum)

Complex hybrid:
Paph. Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle' FCC/AOS

NoID:

Paph. vinicolor 'Black Jack'

Phragmipedium
Phrag. Green Hornet (longfolium x pearcei) x2
Phrag. Sunset Glow

I realized I need a wishlist for when I get better and a millionaire apparently, so here it goes:

Wishlists:

Multis:
Paph. stonei (the one I had ended up in the bin... :sob: )
Paph. Berenice
Paph. Lady Isabel
Paph. Lady Rothschild
Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer (WANT!)
Paph. Paul Parks

Suggestions for more multiwishes I could never fit on my windowsills? :wink:

Parvi/roth hybrids: (not necessarily these hybrids, but ones that look like these, but might be easier to grow and flower)
Paph. Dollgoldi
Paph. Gloria Naugle
Paph. Wössner Vietnam Star (killed one already, go me! :p )

Can't think of any more parvi/roth hybrids I want... I've probably forgotten one or possibly two.

Maudiae types and other single flowering Paphs:
Paph. mastersianum (since I murdered the one I had)
Paph. helenae (same reason as above)

Suggestions for more? All I can hear in my head is a faint echo of thoughts past...

Forgot the Phrags!

A flavum Phrag would be neat...

Last edited:
If you dwell on plants killed you will not have time for more rational thought. I have killed many times over the number of Paphs in your whole collection. learn and move on.

If you dwell on plants killed you will not have time for more rational thought. I have killed many times over the number of Paphs in your whole collection. learn and move on.
I think one difference is that my collection is very small compared to yours (and compared to the majority of the forumites' collections), Eric, so each individual death is much more noticeable. Plus the fact that even though I wish it was so, I'm not made out of money; so I can't replace the losses that easily.

Nice assortment. Do you have any Phrag's?
*slaps forehead*

Yes... I totally forgot about them, so I'll add them to my previous post. :D

My Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday. Some of the plants had some damage to their leaves, but this was all mentioned in the descriptions of the plants on the vendor's website, so it was nothing unexpected.

The plants look healthy, but I haven't checked the roots yet. I will do so later, because I don't like the substrate they're potted in; there's too much fine particles/dust in it for my taste.

So, from the back row, left to right, we have; Paph. Lady Rothschild and Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri. Front row, left to right; Paph. MK x gardineri (two growths!) and Paph. Wössner Kolarmi.
282921.orig.jpg

For some reason, I thought Paph. Lady Rothschild would be smaller. I have no idea why I thought that. Must have been the gardineri crosses confusing me.

EDIT:
Must upload a picture of my Phrag. Jason Fischer. I really hope it'll stay this small, that would be great. It didn't have the best root system, so I hope the roots will start growing soon. The old growth is pretty banged up, but it said on the vendor's website that it was an imported plant, which seems to be code for "mechanical damage". :rollhappy:
I took this picture about a week ago (18-19th Dec), and it has already grown a lot. I love how fast the Phrags are compared to the Paphs!
16079994766_187d97c750_b.jpg

Pahiopedilum:

Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus
Paph. bundtii
Paph. cerveranum
Paph. dayanum
Paph. hainanense
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
(hybrid within appletonianum/bullenianum species, probably)
Paph. schoseri
Paph. sukhakulii 'Graue'
Paph. venustum
Paph. veustum var. alba
Paph. violascens

Paphiopedilum:

Paph. gratrixianum var. daoense (?)
Paph. henryanum

Polyantha:
Paph. lowii
Paph. parishii
Paph. rothschildianum 'Mont Milais' x self
(not an actual MM selfling, I should call it 'Popow' instead so I know where I got it from)
Paph. wilhelminiae

Parvisepalum:

Primary hybrids:

Complex hybrids:
Paph. Lady Rothschild (NEW)
Paph. Michael Koopowitz x gardineri (NEW)
Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri (NEW)
Paph. Wössner Kolarmi (NEW)

NoID:

Phragmipedium
Phrag. Green Hornet (longfolium x pearcei)
Phrag. Jason Fischer (NEW)
Phrag. Sunset Glow

Last edited:
So, I pulled the four newbies out of their pots to check their roots, and to repot them into a substrate I'm more comfortable with.

As usual, all but one were overpotted, so they moved into smaller pots.

The MK x gardineri had a pretty lousy root system and no growing root tips/nubs at all. I hope it'll turn out to be a vigorous grower and grow some new roots fast. Considering the cross, it's not an impossible wish.

The Wössner Kolarmi had only two good roots, but three new fat ones starting out, so I'm not worried about that one. I'm a bit confused as to how I should care for it, since slipperorchids.info don't have much data on the kolopakingii. :confused:

Mount Toro x gardineri had a really nice root system, with plenty of growing roots, plus some new root nubs. It's the overall nicest plant of the bunch, with a nice root system and healthy, undamaged leaves. :D

Lady Rothschild... Well, what to say about this one... Not only is she large with a 60cm (ca 23½") leafspan, but she had a root system to match! This one I had to give a wider pot. I could have put her back into her original one, but then I would have been forced to repot her pretty soon, since she had plenty of roots + a bunch of growing ones. I'm very happy with my little monster. :D

All in all, I'm very pleased with this bunch, and I hope I'll manage to care properly for them now.

Some ramblings before going to bed...

It's almost been three years now since I became a Paph owner so I felt like rambling on for a bit about how it has been, how it is, and what I've learned etc. Nobody in their right mind will read this great wall of China text, so it's mostly for my own sake I'm writing it. :D

The most important thing I've learned is that I'm a serial Paph killer. 15 Paphs in less than 3 years. That's actually an accomplishment of sorts, maybe not one you want to brag about, but it takes some 'skill' to manage that. Some people can learn by not killing, but I'm apparently not one of those people. I do envy them however because it's fun to be good at things, even if it's growing orchids. Being good at killing them is not that fun however. :p

My major issue is that I'm a chronic overwaterer, especially during the colder and darker periods. I've noticed that it seems the species I've had the most problems with are the warm and wet growers. I overwater these during winter and then they get root rot. Also, they don't like standing in the windows during night since the temperature gets too low (or at least that's how I interpret how they've grown/died for me).

The funny part is that my Paph violascens has grown remarkably well so far, but that one I knew was tricky, so I've given it special care which seems to have paid off. Just because I wrote this, it'll get bacterial rot and die overnight.

To deal with my overwatering habits, I've now started trying to adapt my substrate by using coarser bark than before (still not as coarse as to Phals), and I also try to drill holes near the bottoms of some pots to increase the airflow. I'm also trying to learn to withhold the water better during winter. It's hard, but I'm getting there!

One thing my friend said to me while I was whining about being a serial Paph killer yesterday, was that one possible reason why my list of victims is so long is because I bought a lot of Paphs when I started growing them, this with only Phals as previous experience with orchids. She said that she went through 5 rex begonia before getting the hang of how to care for them, and that if she had started with 10 at the same time, the probability of her having killed more would have been higher. I felt a bit better after hearing that, and I think she had a good point.

Another thing I've realized now is that starting with mostly species, and baby plants at that, is not a good idea. Hindsight and all that you know. I've now learned my lesson...sort of...and have some more hybrids in my collection. I'm waiting for my new lamp fixture + T5, and humidity trays to arrive so I can put them where they're supposed to be (instead of on my stove, where they are standing now). :D

At the moment, I'm busy repotting all of my Paphs and the condition of the roots can really make or break my day. I felt like the worst Paph owner in the history of bad Paph owners, when I pulled up my darling fairrieanum and its root system stayed in the pot. It had a nice root system last time I repotted and now it only has one viable root left. :sob:

I think it will pull through, it's a strong little plant and a fast grower. It's in a homemade nursery right now, awaiting some warmth from the heat mat I've ordered.

I think it's due to the neglect the collection suffered this summer when I let them dry out completely, I then started water like normal followed by too much water as winter approached. I think this was the nail in the coffin for several of my strugglers, for example; my first schoseri's rootsystem was mush and so was my ciliolare's when I pulled them out of their pots (I was expecting it, so no surprises there). So, sudden changes in their culture is not something some of them take well. As another example; the root tips on my malipoense stopped growing immediately after that drought, my helenae died almost immediately afterwards, and my fairrieanum's condition is probably also related to this.

So yes, that part of the emergency repot episode was not good for the self esteem. All the Paphs I decided to repot that day were the ones I was worried about and in some cases I was apparently right to worry. Colour me surprised then when I pulled my tigrinum out of its pot, expecting mush and finding a very nice root system. Self esteem restored a tiny bit.

Last emergency repot that day was my parishii. This Paph has been slowly but surely shrinking, almost tipping out of its pot due to its poor root system (it had a poor one when I got it, and it didn't seem to improve during my 'care'). I can honestly say that I was prepared to toss it when I pulled it out of its pot, so when found five growing roots I almost dropped my jaw! :eek: I was shocked to say the least and I decided there and then to really make an effort with it, which I haven't done mostly due to it being so ugly (it had ugly marks when I got it and it got some more when I sprayed the orchids with insecticide/miticide). Those roots made my day, and I felt a bit better again; self esteem up some more points.

So, I've learned a lot during these almost 3 years and 15 dead Paphs. I guess that's something at least, and I hope I'll continue to learn and care better for my slippers. I really love them and have decided to get rid of most of my Phals to fit my newest Paph/Phrag additions. I really don't understand it myself why I want to get rid of constantly flowering Phals and replace them with plants I might never even flower. I guess I find the slippers more interesting nowadays. :D

And now, sleepy time... :snore:

Good night! I kill more than you do, but I have more than you do.The weakness for me is that i like to acquire them but have too many things going on to give the attention they need to grow well. My choices and my losses. :eek:

Good night! I kill more than you do, but I have more than you do.The weakness for me is that i like to acquire them but have too many things going on to give the attention they need to grow well. My choices and my losses. :eek:
You get a cyber cookie for making it through the great wall of China text. :D

Well, considering you have like 2 million orchids, a full time job (I've gotten the impression you do), and other hobbies as well, it's not strange you don't have the time.

My GF talks so much it make you seem mute! :eek:

O my.

I did the quick scan, got the general gist :)

I also loved searching out things but had many distractions. You can keep things straggling along a long time with underwatering than overwatering also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My GF talks so much it make you seem mute! :eek:
That's because I try not to write an entire novel whenever I post. I'm talkative with the right people and they probably wish I would keep quiet sometimes. :rollhappy:

O my.

I did the quick scan, got the general gist :)

I also lived searching out things but had many distractions. You can keep things straggling along a long time with underwatering than overwatering also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You get a cyber cookie for the effort. :wink:

Let's just say I really hope I won't start underwatering instead of overwatering. Correct watering would be very nice. :D

Generally underwatering is better than overwatering.
Absolutely. I'm just afraid I'm going to do like I usually do; from one extreme to another. I don't believe in any half-measures so I'll probably start treating my Paphs as cacti! :rollhappy:

Pahiopedilum:

Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus
Paph. bundtii
Paph. cerveranum
Paph. dayanum
Paph. hainanense
Paph. hookerae x2
Paph. mastersianum
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
Paph. schoseri
Paph. sukhakulii 'Graue'
Paph. venustum
Paph. veustum var. alba
Paph. violascens x3

Paphiopedilum:

Paph. gratrixianum var. daoense (?)
Paph. helenae x2
Paph. henryanum

Polyantha:
Paph. lowii
Paph. parishii
Paph. rothschildianum from Popow
Paph. wilhelminiae

Parvisepalum:

Primary hybrids:
Paph. Wössner China Moon (armenaicum x hangianum)
Paph. Wössner Kolarmi (kolopakingii x armeniacum)

Complex hybrids:
Paph. Lady Rothschild (rothschildianum x Lady Isabel)
Paph. Michael Koopowitz x gardineri
Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri

NoID:

Phragmipedium
Phrag. Green Hornet (longifolium x pearcei)
Phrag. Jason Fischer (Memoria Dick Clements x besseae)
Phrag. Memoria Estelle Getty (longifolium x fischeri)
Phrag. Rosy Glow (Jason Fischer x schlimii)
Phrag. Sunset Glow (Eric Young x Memoria Dick Clements)

your media can be made to help the situation.
Not now when I've been working on getting my media to help with the overwatering issue. :poke:

Last edited:
My first and only orchid book arrived today! I'm so happy! :D

Now, it's time to do some reading.

285082.orig.jpg

Latest posts

Back