My Cyps 2012

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clap: Fantastic photos, Joe. And best Cyp collection in Edmonton.

I too haven't been around the orchid forum or meetings. :( No time, always in my studio and studies.

:clap: Fantastic photos, Joe. And best Cyp collection in Edmonton.

I too haven't been around the orchid forum or meetings. :( No time, always in my studio and studies.

Oh, I agree with Fren here, Joe. Love the photos and I don't know anyone in the area with a better collection of cyps.

Chuck

You guys are too kind. I won't stop here though!

It's amazing how quickly the season progresses. Already the parviflorums and most of the hybrids have faded or are fading, and the late bloomers are starting.

C. Ulla Silkens (flavum x reginae) is a vigorous and easy hybrid. It has inferior form to reginae most of the time, but great colour, and this one has a great fragrance reminiscent of old rose. The flowers may yet open more, but I did not want to risk them fading a little before I got photos. The intensity of the pink changes depending on the temperature when the buds open. When it's cooler they are darker. You can have different flowers from year to year, and you can even have different flowers on the same plant in the same year.

My passerinum opened completely, which I was not expecting. The flower has water spots on it already from all the rain we've been getting.

These are the last couple photos of the season for me.

This is the same Ulla Silkens plant I pictured before, with a completely different coloured flower that opened a few days after the others. The staminode is a little weird on it, but I wanted to show the difference in colour.

And here is C. kentuckiense. Another one that is challenging to photograph because of its position. This is a magnificent plant that has proven hardy in my local zone 3.

This has all in all been the best year for my Cyp collection so far, as it's the largest it's ever been and some of the plants are starting to form nice clumps after a few years in the garden. I was disappointed in a few cases where plants did not flower that I was expecting to flower, but I think next year will be even better!

:poke: You shoulda dug 'em up and brought 'em to our show last weekend.

Did you know that Shawn Hillis won two AOS awards for Cyp. Pixi at the show? The judges were salivating at the chance to judge his cyps.

:poke: You shoulda dug 'em up and brought 'em to our show last weekend.

I think that would have been a bad idea, lol.

Did you know that Shawn Hillis won two AOS awards for Cyp. Pixi at the show? The judges were salivating at the chance to judge his cyps.

I did! He sent me pictures. It's great that your show finally lined up with Cyp blooming season. Cyps are rare to see at either of our shows in Alberta. I'm very happy for him, as I'm sure this will help his business take off. And that is a very good thing for Cyp growers and potential Cyp growers across Canada!

I did take some photos of his whole display and of Pixi, but they were horrible so I've deleted them. Pixi is dark, really gorgeous...

Latest posts

Back