My CP's plus a few orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikefallen13

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just thought I'd share some pics of my collection! I got rid of most of my slippers last year, I do still have a few here and there but I've mostly focused on tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes) and cool growing pleurothallid orchids. This grow tent is set up to achieve night temperatures of around 55 degrees at night with days around 74 maximum while maintaining 80%+ humidity. I've been rather pleased with the results so far, it took a while to dial everything in but now I've been seeing some really good growth from my plants!

Most of my Nepenthes are fairly recent acquisitions, most within the last year, so many of them have some growing to do before you can really get an idea of their full potential.

The Nepenthes shelf, I didn't get an overview of the orchid shelf because it is quite the disaster zone at the moment lol
Tent Overview 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Top Shelf 2 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Top Shelf 4 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Lower Shelf 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

One of the reasons I love nepenthes is no two species look alike, even within a single species the plants can vary in appearance greatly depending on the maturity of the plant.
N. vogelii TC BE 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. petiolata TC BE 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. chaniana TC BE 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. jamban TC BE 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

The oldest plant I currently own. I purchased this one as a small seedling in 2012, I almost killed it two years ago, and it's now finally beginning to look good again after growing back from a stump.
N. robcantleyi SG BE 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. robcantleyi SG BE 5/23/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

A few orchids that look nice at the moment

M. veitchiana 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

M. welischii 'Rip Hoff' AM/AOS 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

My most recent plant addiction, Dendrobium cuthbertsonii. This is Ecuagenera's "orange" clone, more of a multicolor rather than a clear orange.
D. cuthbertsonii orange 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

This particular bloom has been open for 3 months and still looks perfect. It is also literally the same size as the plant.
D. cuthbertsonii 'White Tips' AM/AOS x self by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

This is my "King" sundew, it can get massive 2'+ across! Mine is still fairly small, maybe 10" at this point but it's still easily able to subdue larger insects.
D. regia 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

N. vogelii has wild colors! and jamban look like little toilet bowls hanging in the air. lol

That second D. cuthbertsonii has great color!

That's a really great setup you have going there. I've been utterly fascinated by the Sundews (Drosera) since way back in the 70s. Someday before I leave this planet I would like to successfully cultivate one.

Mike, can you tell us (and possibly show us) more about the "guts"of this set up? I'm particularly interested in your cooling and humidity control methods. Those Neps look great!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'll need to go get some pictures of the cooling system, I actually based it off of a guide I found online from another Nepenthes grower but I had to scale up multiple components to accommodate the size of my chamber (the original design was used for more of a terrarium sized setup). I'll see if I can track down the link again.

Many of my nepenthes are either from eBay or Andreas Wistuba of the Nepenthes Nursery, he operates out of Germany but has a trans-shipper that takes care of the paperwork. He has many rare (and expensive) varieties but they are often small and take a while to get settled in. As for domestic sellers, Redleaf Exotics is my new favorite, Dom will go above and beyond to make sure your happy with what you're getting. A few other trustworthy sellers are Native Exotics, Sarracenia Northwest, California Carnivores and, one that most of you are already familiar with, Orchid Web. I highly recommend trying Nepenthes if you haven't yet, they're truly fascinating plants.

I'll need to get some pics of my temperate plants as well, they're finally looking presentable after getting pummeled by a freak hail storm.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask!

Once those plants are larger, you will be able to sell divisions for some good prices I bet. The really colorful and unusual nepenthes are so hard to find. Congratulations because yours look awesome.

Hey guys!
for those interested, I was able to find the link to the instructions I used to build my cooling system. I'm out of town at the moment so I'm unable to get pictures of my personal setup but I will as soon as I get back.

http://edencps.com/diy-air-conditioner/

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my cold hardy pitcher plants that are looking good at the moment. It's still fairly early for them so they should color up more over the next few weeks.

Sarracenia (5/23/17) by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. leucophylla Garcon Point A 5/15/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. ornata LW5 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. leucophylla Splinter Hill 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. flava 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. cuprea 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Hey guys!
for those interested, I was able to find the link to the instructions I used to build my cooling system. I'm out of town at the moment so I'm unable to get pictures of my personal setup but I will as soon as I get back.

http://edencps.com/diy-air-conditioner/

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my cold hardy pitcher plants that are looking good at the moment. It's still fairly early for them so they should color up more over the next few weeks.

Sarracenia (5/23/17) by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. leucophylla Garcon Point A 5/15/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. ornata LW5 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. leucophylla Splinter Hill 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. flava 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

S. flava var. cuprea 5/26/17 by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Looks good. Mine don't like the new house; I just get morning light, not the full sun I had at the old house.

You've got some great looking plants there, love the truncata, Rob, and vogelli!

That's a really great setup you have going there. I've been utterly fascinated by the Sundews (Drosera) since way back in the 70s. Someday before I leave this planet I would like to successfully cultivate one.
Where do you live /what conditions would you grow it in?
I might have some seeds that I could send via a SASE depending on your location if you'd like :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Those are wonderful, Mike!

Where do you live /what conditions would you grow it in?
I might have some seeds that I could send via a SASE depending on your location if you'd like :)

That's very generous of you. :)

I live in Michigan with rather inhospitable growing conditions as far as Sundews are concerned. Several years ago I had extensive outdoor gardens and wonderfully expansive indoor spaces for growing exotics, but I've since relocated to much smaller living quarters. I only have space to provide proper conditions for my collection of bean leaf Neos. We've been talking about home ownership once again, and I hope it will come to fruition. I will have to wait on growing my collection until that time.

Latest posts

Back