My bog garden progression

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's pretty much right

R U sure!?!? :(

I've read some of your posts and seems like you a good candidate for my new club, overwaters anonymous. :poke: Welcome to the club, I'm running for president, but I'm doing much better this year, only drowned a few Catts, a Peristeria, and a few Catasetums, no CPs though. I'm pretty sure it would take a concentrated effort consisting of total, long term submersion to overwater most CPs. Like the biblical floods in the time of Noah. The only way to kill them with water is to give them bad water, which is really any water with high pH or lots of nutrients, like the errant fert. spray for my orchids that fried a few of my Pings and Utrics.

Forrest

Maybe that was the problem but there are some ghosts of VFT's that disagreed w/ that statement! Maybe you saw the tombstones I posted before but my overwatering has done its' share of damage to the environment. :( :p

I can't believe it was over watering that killed the flytrap, either something in it or no dormancy, they die after the first winter if not let to go dormant. I get a kick out of the directions they give you with those VFTs from most nursery's of garden stores, you know the ones in the little plastic boxes/domes. When followed to the T the VFTs will inevitably and invariably die. Capitalist bastards want us to kill them and buy more, again and again.

I can't believe it was over watering that killed the flytrap, either something in it or no dormancy, they die after the first winter if not let to go dormant. I get a kick out of the directions they give you with those VFTs from most nursery's of garden stores, you know the ones in the little plastic boxes/domes. When followed to the T the VFTs will inevitably and invariably die. Capitalist bastards want us to kill them and buy more, again and again.

yeh, people don't realize the dormancy issue...
i give tours around the conservatory where i work and when i get to the vft i ask people if they know where they're native and i get all sorts of crazy answers....

It depends on which Pings you have - tropical or temperate. I have P. moranensis, which is Mexican, and doesn't seem to require any dormancy. There are also some species native to North America, so it depends on what you have. Do you know which ones you have?

Latest posts

Back