My art and I will be at the IOS Spring Show...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
It’s a little early yet, but I want to make sure that anyone who likes my art and lives in the Midwest has ample opportunity to think about visiting the Illinois Orchid Society Spring Show 4/5-4/6 at the Chicago Botanic Garden. My work is a minor attraction when compared to the other exhibits and show tables put together by the growers in this region. I haven’t decided what pieces I’m bringing yet for my display this year (one or two may still be in the works), but it will likely once again focus on paintings inspired by plants that will not be seen in person at the show. I hope, if you’re able to attend, you will take a look at my exhibit and come say hello at the New World Orchids sales booth where I will be helping out again. As always, I appreciate your support, regardless of whether that comes in monetary or verbal form.

Last edited:
COOL!!! I will look forward to it! It's not too early - we're ready for spring in this area!

Goldenrose, you never showed up!...unless I was taking a break, and that’s certainly possible.

This was my overly-crowded display; I’d have done fine with three pieces, but registered four and worked them all in:

IOS%20display.jpg

I can only rejoice in my trophy so much as I was the only painter, but the other artists there were also professionals with similarly-fine work.

In respect to plants, the highlight for me personally was Orchids Limited’s Cypripedium candidum and I was happy I got a chance to tell Jerry Fischer this. (A painting is forthcoming). Another star from my odd perspective was an Angraecum (didieri x mahavavense), a cross that Oak Hill had a couple of years ago. I’m now kicking myself for my "try to stick to species" rule—it reminded me very much of elephantinum and is no doubt more vigorous. Live and learn, right?!

I’ve only got the one shot Candace, and I don’t know that I’m capable of setting the trophy up on my drawing board and actually hosting the image. It’s pretty tasteful though. I must admit I’ve not kept all of them and don’t display them either—it’s room where I could put a low-light plant or a lantern in our little one bedroom apartment!

The Cypripedium formosanum, the Dendrophylax lindenii and the Paphiopedilum jackii paintings are available, framed as you can see, and in archival materials. As I’ve said before, I generally sell my work loose, and don’t charge extra for things I’ve framed for an event—if you’ve ever taken something in to a decent craftsperson to get that done you know what a huge break this is. Please email me at [email protected] if you’re interested...these pieces are very fine.

Because they are already framed, I’ll probably be sending them off to The Orchid Gallery in the Bluff View Art District of Chattanooga, Tennessee if I don’t have any takers soon; they sell both orchid plants and art—how cool is that?

Robin,

You'll probably see my autograph on the back on one of those ribbons. Look for a messy "E J G scribble scribble t". Very much deserved!!! The entire team was in awe!

-Ernie

Hey Robin -sorry we missed each other, I was there Sunday morning & came by a couple of times. Congrats on the award, the pics were as nice in person as we see online!

Ernie, it's nice to know my love of the subject matter came through in person--orchids are most assuredly on my top five list of things to get out of bed for in the morning!

Goldenrose, my tether was long...I also didn't show up till ten. Sorry I missed you. Maybe next year?

Hello Robin,
Congradulations on your well deserved awards! Hope your apartment is big enough for the ribbions, trophies, cats and orchids!! BTW- most of the glacier has dissapeared from our yard!!
Happy growing
Lindafrog

Thanks, Linda!

No, there's no room. This place is a work station. I have to tune out all popular conceptions of what a livable space is to maintain sanity. As long as everything is hydrated, I do fine, or else I hear "water me, pleeeaaaase!" while trying to paint or do stuff online.

When do your cyps start poking their noses up?... I don't think we're going to make it to Tobermory this year, but Michigan is a must at some point. Someday I would love to make the Lake Michigan circle tour--more time and money than we've got this year though. I so miss my home state...

Latest posts

Back