Multifloral rot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.pnas.org/content/92/10/4076.full.pdf

Check this out.

The plant physiologists have no problems linking disease resistance to salicylic acid which seems to be a natural phenomena in all plants (not just white willow!).

But it also seems to be established data that salicylic acid suppresses K and PO4 uptake by plants. Could this also suggest the inverse that high K and P inhibit the production of salicylic acid production in plants?:evil:

Why would the immune response in plants include an inhibition of K and P uptake?

Cool, I will take a look (when I get some time, which might not happen for a while). But, I'm guessing that it is unlikely that the inverse occurs. For some reason, SA might be signaling to reduce K, P uptake. But SA synthesis is likely to be determined by other processes (which needs to signal the other cells). SA signal is also used for other stressful condition (e.g. dehydration), so maybe if there isn't enough water, they might be stopping nutrient uptake because concentration in the cell may become too high?

The example Cheyenne points out is very cool phenomenon. I think "parasitic" Corallorhiza is the typical example. But I wouldn't say that trees are helping those orchids. It's just an example of heterotrophs; i.e. zebras (trees) aren't "helping" lions (orchids) by getting eaten.

No way! those guys support animals and animals eat plants.

:evil: I'm with you on that Lance. I'm a carnivore, I eat no vegetables. Save the plants! Give me steak, though a few mushrooms fried in butter to serve on top is a real nice touch, but we won't count mushrooms as plants, they're fungi. Bacon is good too.

:evil: I'm with you on that Lance. I'm a carnivore, I eat no vegetables. Save the plants! Give me steak, though a few mushrooms fried in butter to serve on top is a real nice touch, but we won't count mushrooms as plants, they're fungi. Bacon is good too.

Leo, Im packing my bags and on my way over for dinner!:rollhappy::rollhappy:

I know vegetarians who won't eat mushrooms because they're too much like meat...

Hey Rick, a week plus down the line, not worse, not better, two doses of asprin, but to be honest, I think the biggest factor is removing the plants from the greenhouse. They are outside in a very low humidity. They seem to be drying out and holding their own. I am keeping them very dry, only giving them water when absolutely needed. I will only move them back to the greenhouse in two or three weeks. I will post an update photo tomorrow pm. I think it is difficult to understand the climate. We are at 12 degrees night, 27 degrees day and about 10% humidity. so dry and hot with cool evenings. Kind of mummification conditions, ideal I think to cure rot.

It's good that the weather is cooperation with you at least. Me and the cats are keeping our fingers crossed. :)

Latest posts

Back