Multifloral charlesworthii ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
I have never seen this before, and haven't been able to find any pics of a charlesworthii with more than one flower on the spike.
The first flower is very poorly shaped, and has some green in the dorsal.
The plant has four spikes, but only one like this. The rest are longer as seen in the first pic.
48794097431_c8ee11bcc5_c.jpg
48793739508_b2ef6fa419_c.jpg
48794107306_e0ce24ffe5_c.jpg

The second flower is open, and it's normal.
I was too quick regarding the other stems though - there is another with two buds :)
48838108206_0ac8ebc48f_c.jpg

48838289692_e40ec3231c_c.jpg

This year my Paph Charlie’s Girl (charlesworthii x Gigi) had twin buds.
No stem length, both flowers were monsters.

Also Paph Rosy Dawn (Astarte x Gwen Hannen) had twin buds but dropped one. The remaining flower was a little distorted.

Didn’t take any pictures. Too disappointed.

Found a photo that I took in April. On the right front is my ‘little Paph insigne’. Paph Pepperpuddle visible far right but can’t see it’s bud.
On the left rear is Paph Charlie’s Girl. The flowers opened at that height. Concave pouches. All a mess.
Left front is Rosy Dawn. Dropped the smallest bud. Then stem length grew but flower was coarse and atypical.
Not sure why they decided to twin bud. They were being grown inside under RBG marine LEDs (fish tank lights) and had been under these lights for 12 months. Perhaps the lighting type/ intensity was an issue or some other cultural issue.

9B39B005-83B1-4673-B77B-FD18E6C40E41.jpeg

Well grown paphs of many species that are usually unifloral can have two flowers. It just shows you are doing it right. :)

I think P.K.Hansen is probably growing well, but like I said my flowers were deformed and I think the lights were to blame. My aim was just a cheap, compact way to keep things alive over winter.

Latest posts

Back