MSU Fertilizer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know how many different formulas of MSU type fertilizers are being sold and used. There are many people selling it under their own labels and I wonder if they are all actually from the same bulk supplier.
Everyone please post where you buy your MSU fertilizer from and what formula you use. Post a link to the suppliers webpage if possible. This is not meant to endorse suppliers or brands but rather to learn what is available and from where.

I buy mine from First Rays. The formula is 13-3-15-8Ca-2Mg

I get mine right from Blackmore. I think it is the same breakdown as yours (I don't have a label anywhere handy). I certainly didn't customize it in any way. RO Special and Well water special are the only two I've ever bought.

Ditto to Lance. And that reminds me I need to place my order this weekend as I'm starting to get low.

I think I got mine at First Rays... I do not use it all of the time. I still use dyna-grow 795/Ca-Mg fert mixture as much as I use MSU. And use RO water.

If you have not read the 5 part article written by Bill Argo, Phd. (2003 IPA journal) it provides a comprehensive overview of water, fert, substrate, ph etc. Don't laugh I review it weekly and recently started to do pour through tests. Still learning and tweaking.

Got mine from orchidmix.com. The pure water formula is 12-6-13, the tap water formula is 17-9-18, the former with 7% Ca and the latter with 4%, and the tap water formula has no magnesium for some reason. I actually don't like how coarse this fertilizer is (takes longer to dissolve), so I'll probably get it from a different vendor next time.

-Matt

I get mine from Fred Clarke at Sunset Valley Orchids. He uses a version the folks at MSU help design for water on the west coast.

gore42 said:
Got mine from orchidmix.com. The pure water formula is 12-6-13, the tap water formula is 17-9-18, the former with 7% Ca and the latter with 4%, and the tap water formula has no magnesium for some reason. I actually don't like how coarse this fertilizer is (takes longer to dissolve), so I'll probably get it from a different vendor next time.

-Matt

I also use orchidmix pure water from Robert's flower supply. The pure water formula dissolves well for me, especially when I add superthrive to it.

Fred worked with MSU to develop their fertilizer for the west coast region. I don't know the details, but Fred said the water on the west coast differs from the east coast (i don't know if it's PH related or something else). I do know the fertilizer works well from personal usage and it mixes well with my RO water.

I call Fred to place orders. You can email him and ask detailed info.

DavidH said:
Fred worked with MSU to develop their fertilizer for the west coast region. I don't know the details, but Fred said the water on the west coast differs from the east coast (i don't know if it's PH related or something else). I do know the fertilizer works well from personal usage and it mixes well with my RO water.

I call Fred to place orders. You can email him and ask detailed info.

I sent Fred an email and gave him a link to this thread.

I bought mine from First Ray's awhile back. I figured if I'm paying to ship a heavy box of clay rocks, they can ship an extra 5 pounds of fertilizer too.

Back