MSU and K-Lite?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H2O2 is used in hydroponics to one supply O2 to the roots and two to disinfect the feed stock.

Thanks Rick, I was not figuring the ppm x each % of N. Haha, I finally have it figured out. I was realizing later on my math was missing something I just didn't know what yet.
Using grow more as an example isn't perfect. It doesn't show ppm just %s. So for the example, we'll assume it is 12.5ppm per % of N.
12.5ppm X 20%N = 250ppm of N per teaspoon.
250ppm of N / by 4(gives you quarters) = 62.5
Cool, now I finally have it. Thanks Rick!
Thanks rangiku, Ray's fert mix calculator is very nice and helpful, but there is just something about being able to do it yourself.

However, volume of fert (tsp) doesn't always track with weight.
That's absolutely correct Rick, but if you look at the bulk density of fertilizer powders and that of liquids, it's close enough.

As a materials engineer, I always worried about that very mass/volume conversion, but later learned that it's not so far off to be a concern, and when you throw in the fact that we are making VERY dilute solutions anyway, it really is no reason to be concerned.

That's absolutely correct Rick, but if you look at the bulk density of fertilizer powders and that of liquids, it's close enough.

As a materials engineer, I always worried about that very mass/volume conversion, but later learned that it's not so far off to be a concern, and when you throw in the fact that we are making VERY dilute solutions anyway, it really is no reason to be concerned.

Yup No reason to go out and by a scale.

I mentioned probably being off by maybe 20% as no big deal.

And the target ppm is only a guess anyway. The important thing is to remain consistent so you can look back and know what has actually been applied.

Yes. Be consistent and be observant, so you can react quickly if you see an issue.

One thing Bill Argo did mention is that once a plant has developed a nutrient deficiency, it's not a "quick fix" to correct it, but that it will take a long time to recover. If you think about what we've discussed in these several threads - stuff like "RO only for 6 months before starting the new fertilizer" or "CaNO3 & Epsom Salts only for a year with no trace elements" - and with no sign of any issues, it stands to reason that the physiological changes connected to nutrition are VERY slow in plants, so the development of deficiencies and the recovery from them might be long-term issues.

I would have to consider nitrogen to be an exception, but it's such a huge part of the overall picture, that stands to reason as well.

Back