Moving to Arizona; will my orchids be ok?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlynnt66

Reaction score
I recently decided that I'm moving my family from Washington to Arizona, which I'm sure everyone knows is a huge and drastic change in climate. I have a huge variety of orchids, and I know some of them will do very well under cover from the sun and with plenty of water, but I am worried about my paphs. Does anyone here live in Arizona? If so, how do you acclimate your paphs? What about other species you have? Any and all input is much appreciated, even pure speculation!

Bev Tall is on Facebook, she lives in Phoenix (IIRC) you could ask her. Tim Culbertson is also on Facebook, he moved his collection 2x and so would have ideas abut the actual moving of plants enmasse. Ronald A Coleman wrote an article in the AOS mag some time ago exactly about this, moving his collection and setting up a gh in Phoenix. Supposedly the mags are all online and searchable if you are a member. Best idea is to ask Bev.

Are you planning to grow Paphs outside in Az?
That's my plan, at least those that can tolerate the heat in the shade there. I'm looking at vicinities near and outside Phoenix, maybe Chandler. I'm also considering opening a greenhouse there, which should be operational within a couple of years if I go the flask route and bulk buy. Then, at least, I would have a chance to acclimate more species into the hotter climate before they leave the comfort of their flasks.

Bev Tall is on Facebook, she lives in Phoenix (IIRC) you could ask her. Tim Culbertson is also on Facebook, he moved his collection 2x and so would have ideas abut the actual moving of plants enmasse. Ronald A Coleman wrote an article in the AOS mag some time ago exactly about this, moving his collection and setting up a gh in Phoenix. Supposedly the mags are all online and searchable if you are a member. Best idea is to ask Bev.
Unfortunately for this situation I don't have any social media, but I will certainly search for the mags online! Thanks!

I recently decided that I'm moving my family from Washington to Arizona, which I'm sure everyone knows is a huge and drastic change in climate. I have a huge variety of orchids, and I know some of them will do very well under cover from the sun and with plenty of water, but I am worried about my paphs. Does anyone here live in Arizona? If so, how do you acclimate your paphs? What about other species you have? Any and all input is much appreciated, even pure speculation!
No way. None. You’re talking about 9 months of temperatures in the 90s and 100sFahrenheit. Maybe Tucson? But even there, the humidity will be nonexistent. There’s a lady in SoCal who uses rigged-up shower curtains around rankake of Neofinetia, which need humidity to thrive but can far better tolerate dry air than basically any Paphiopedilum. She waters twice a day all summer and has middling results with her Neos. Arizona, that’s going to be exponentially drier.

I moved my entire collection from swampy hot humid kentucky to high desert colorado a couple years ago.

Relative humidity here is sometimes in the single digits, and can happen at any time of year.

I have my collection in a grow tent in my apartment. I water and mist 2-3 times a day and am able to keep the humidity between 60 and 80%. If I only water once in the morning, by late afternoon the humidity in the tent is in the 40s, and by the next morning in the 20s.

If you are going to grow outdoors in Phoenix, I would suggest some kind of enclosure. Otherwise your plants are going to be crispy.

There is a guy on Orchidboard.com with the username estacionseca who lives in Phoenix. He posts often and would probably be very happy to help you if you posted there.

Good luck!

Thank you all! I'll likely keep most of my orchids indoors for the first year or so to test the waters. After that, I'll keep the cooler growing and humidity-loving ones inside. The house has a space on the back esplanade to build a small greenhouse; I think humidifiers and cooling elements will be in the design. Hoping I can grow more species there than I can here!

hmmmm....... true. I think it really does get a bit dry in AZ ..... and also in some parts of CO. Also ..... can get a bit cold in CO too hehehe

Hats off (and on) for those tropical orchid growers in the snow climates!

Thank you all! I'll likely keep most of my orchids indoors for the first year or so to test the waters. After that, I'll keep the cooler growing and humidity-loving ones inside. The house has a space on the back esplanade to build a small greenhouse; I think humidifiers and cooling elements will be in the design. Hoping I can grow more species there than I can here!
Hi there. I live in Scottsdale and have had 2 greenhouses. My first was 8x8x16 and my newer one is 16x11x30. I am still trying to get my larger one dialed in. Arizona is very tricky. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. And too dry all the time. I would be very interested to see how you are getting along here with your collection.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think evaporative cooling would work very well. Just not sure if it is good enough at 105’? It is my understanding in the heat and humidity of Kentucky, there is still some benefit from evaporative cooling, it is our humidity that makes evaporative cooling not work very well.

Latest posts

Back