(Mostly) phrags on a rainy morning in Honolulu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just sooooo so easy KateL! ... Everything is so very healthy, and they are a wall of phrags in Hawaii, still blows me away. Also very well organized. ughh. I think I'm going to have a talk with the wife at our COVID work form home lunch today and see if I can't convince her that we NEED to move to Hawaii. ;)

It's just sooooo so easy KateL! ... Everything is so very healthy, and they are a wall of phrags in Hawaii, still blows me away. Also very well organized. ughh. I think I'm going to have a talk with the wife at our COVID work form home lunch today and see if I can't convince her that we NEED to move to Hawaii. ;)
Thanks Pete! It would be fun to have more phrag fans on this island. Come on down!
Like everyone else on this site, I’m sure, I spend much of my spare time repotting. Any appearance of organization is a mirage.

Pete and I are members of the National Capital Orchid Society. A former member moved about 4 years ago to the Big Island- Tom Mirenda. Tom used to be the chief horticulturalist for the Smithsonian’s orchid collection. I’d be happy to arrange an introduction if you’d like. (One day a reunion in HI sounds nice- from cold and damp DC)

Thanks Linus! We are acquainted; he’s quite a guy. Tom is now the President of the Hilo Orchid Society, as well as an active AOS judge. Last Saturday, he (HOS) invited all of the Hawaii clubs to participate in a Zoom meeting where Jason Fischer was the presenter. Unfortunately (for phrag fans), Jason talked mostly about Neofinitia falcata, although he did share a couple of phrag pics at the beginning. If you do come all the way, let me know. First round is on me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Linus! We are acquainted; he’s quite a guy. Tom is now the President of the Hilo Orchid Society, as well as an active AOS judge. Last Saturday, he (HOS) invited all of the Hawaii clubs to participate in a Zoom meeting where Jason Fischer was the presenter. Unfortunately (for phrag fans), Jason talked mostly about Neofinitia falcata, although he did share a couple phrag pics at the beginning. If you do come all the way, let me know. First round is on me. ;)
P.S. Bring Pete - I hear he’s house-hunting . . .

Kate thanks for giving us the tour. That Phrag Hanne Popow flavum is very nice. I understand that it's a first time bloomer but if it ever gets to big for you I'd be happy to give it a home. It's been raining all day here but I think the rain would just feel nicer where you live.

Kate thanks for giving us the tour. That Phrag Hanne Popow flavum is very nice. I understand that it's a first time bloomer but if it ever gets to big for you I'd be happy to give it a home. It's been raining all day here but I think the rain would just feel nicer where you live.
Hi Bob, I emailed the pictures of that one to Bill Goldner today and he said, “Wow! Shouldn’t have sold you that one.” I take that in good humor, of course.
Gotta admit, the rain here is rather tolerable, except when it is occasionally accompanied by hurricane-force winds. Best, Kate

Amazing growing phrags. The renanthera or renanthera hybrids are great too

So u are growing outside? My phrags paph obsession (new) moved from Nc to Tampa a month ago. Great new interest for lock down!
Will post my growing conditions once my courtyard is cleaned up in a week by heavy duty workers .

I know this will cause shudders but I have great luck w miracle grow liquid. (don’t throw me out of forum lol!)

lots of cattleyas and onciniums in my collection too

So u are growing outside? My phrags paph obsession (new) moved from Nc to Tampa a month ago. Great new interest for lock down!
Will post my growing conditions once my courtyard is cleaned up in a week by heavy duty workers .

I know this will cause shudders but I have great luck w miracle grow liquid. (don’t throw me out of forum lol!)

Hi Sherry,
Yes, all my orchids are grown outside here, but I have polycarbonate “roofs” over some. For most of the year, for most orchids, no roof is no problem for me. However, in the “winter” it is not unusual for us to have periods of rain and cloudy skies for a week or two, without a break. Then, I have had problems with crown rot, Botrytis, other bacterial/fungal types of problems. Phrags seem the most impervious to heavy rains, along with Vandas, mounted Bulbophyllums, and Catts in/on wooden baskets (no media), although sometimes plants have to take their chances with “space available,” and proper lighting/shading is the biggest determiner of where I put something. However, I keep my littlest phrags (<6 mo or so from flask; that first out-of-flask planting) under cover, as well as all Paphs, which suffered during those rainy spells.
Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with Miracle Gro, as long as you can avoid salt build up and leaf burn. More power to you! I quit using it on orchids after listening to the old-timers here in Hawaii talk about the different forms of N, salt build up, and the importance of micro-nutrients (not to mention good water, which is slightly related). Of course, there are lots of opinions out there and few scientific studies in ”hobbyist” conditions, which are actually quite varied.
Enjoy your new home! Best, Kate

nice you certainly must visiting tropiflora now that you are local.... tillandsias will fit every and any where very jealous...

Already have large orchid collection but new to lady slippers. Overindulged during lockdown at summer house in Nc. Lol

stopping now but do have two spiking orchids coming from Austin Creek Orchids one of my favorite growers!

Latest posts

Back