most bizarre paph ever

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphiness

I hold that the original Star Trek series was still the best of all the Star Trek shows. In one very memorable episode, “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield,” the Enterprise encounters the last two individuals from the planet Arianis. These two men are of different races: one is solid black on his left side and white on his right, while the other is the opposite. They are sworn enemies, and one has been chasing the other for 50,000 years. (!)

In the thumbnail below, you can see one of the gentleman from planet Arianis.

Now, if you want to see an orchid from planet Arianis, click here (NOTE: viewer discretion is advised):

http://slipperorchidblog.com/?p=77

Attachments

• split face star trek.jpg
    split face star trek.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
I agree that it would be an awful lot of trouble to do this with Photoshop.

There was no Photoshop involved.

This plant was described at the Paph Guild in January 2008, and originated from the Orchid Zone. I happened to be sitting next to Mr. Terry Root (and his wife Samantha) after his talk, and arranged to purchase it from him once I heard about it.

Besides all of the great folks at the Orchid Zone, some people who visited OZ prior to the Paph Guild got to see this plant in person.

And how did it manage to maintain this strict line???? How DNAs did not merge with each other???? REally bizzare!!!!!!!

well i guess anything can happen these days and in nature. just out there, i doubt it would survive easily or pass on itz progeny. but thats ok. this is y we have divisions ^^

Maybe someone can tell me how to do a link to another thread......There was a prior post with similar slightly less symmetric chimera paph.
I don't know how to link the thread, but do a search for
"alba surprise"......posted by Miss Paphiopedilum

When 2 genetically distinct tissue types persist side-by-side in a plant like this it is called a sectoral chimaera. It is actually fairly common - many variegated ornamental plants are sectoral chimaeras. What makes this one unusual is the strong color contrast and the near perfect bilateral symmetry maintained even through the flower. New growths will each show a different arrangement of colors, some just a narrow strip of contrast, some all dark or all light, perhaps multiple sectors that appear as stripes, etc. It almost certainly will not breed true. Still, it is fascinating and beautiful.

PaphMadMan (Kirk)

I think PaphMadMan is right on the money. This is not a first-time bloom, and on the previous bloom, this bilateral coloration was not observed; it looked normal. Inspection of the growth in question shows that the underside of the leaves are evenly split down the middle color-wise as well.

The newest growth shows just a streak of pigmentation on its leaves, leading me to conclude that this will not breed true (>sigh<) per PaphMadMan's explantion above.

Maybe someone can tell me how to do a link to another thread......There was a prior post with similar slightly less symmetric chimera paph.

I could do it for you, but if you do it once on your own you'll know how to do it:>

Go to the page you're looking for and at the top of the screen you'll see a http://slippertalk.whateveraddress You highlight the full address using your mouse and holding down your mouse button. You "copy" it, then come back to this thread and hit the reply button to comment and "paste" the address in. It should post highlighted and linked.

NYEric...If you read my post and follow the link, you will see there was a similar post before, but I think this is a new one. Eric

Latest posts

Back