Moss? In pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deb, maybe a little moss, but I think some is good old Cyanobacteria (that is sometimes called algae). Produces oxygen with its chlorophyll and consumes some nutrients and is only growing on the walls where it can get light. It won’t be in the interior of the pot. Doesn’t adversely affect the plant unless it is blocking air holes. We get more when we feed higher concentrations of fertilizer. I don’t like it blocking the view of the roots, but probably don’t want to try and kill it off with chemicals.

I don't think that moss is a problem. In contrast to algae it is even an indicator of a healthy root environment. To avoid it and still be able to see the roots I have a pot-in-pot system. A transparent pot stands in a opaque pot of the same size and form.

I don't think that moss is a problem. In contrast to algae it is even an indicator of a healthy root environment. To avoid it and still be able to see the roots I have a pot-in-pot system. A transparent pot stands in a opaque pot of the same size and form.
great idea!

I grow my walkerianas with sphagnum in clay pot and tree fern pot, both are doing excellent.

Back