Moss? In pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

terryros

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Deb, maybe a little moss, but I think some is good old Cyanobacteria (that is sometimes called algae). Produces oxygen with its chlorophyll and consumes some nutrients and is only growing on the walls where it can get light. It won’t be in the interior of the pot. Doesn’t adversely affect the plant unless it is blocking air holes. We get more when we feed higher concentrations of fertilizer. I don’t like it blocking the view of the roots, but probably don’t want to try and kill it off with chemicals.

musa

Reaction score
I don't think that moss is a problem. In contrast to algae it is even an indicator of a healthy root environment. To avoid it and still be able to see the roots I have a pot-in-pot system. A transparent pot stands in a opaque pot of the same size and form.

southernbelle

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that moss is a problem. In contrast to algae it is even an indicator of a healthy root environment. To avoid it and still be able to see the roots I have a pot-in-pot system. A transparent pot stands in a opaque pot of the same size and form.
Does that make your pots/mix slower drying?

PamO

Reaction score
great idea!

werner.freitag

Reaction score
no problem
not the same, but here I see more and more pots covered with moss

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
The only negative to moss growing like that is the hassle of removing it from the roots when repotting - but I’m not certain it’s even necessary.

Brev

Reaction score
I grow my walkerianas with sphagnum in clay pot and tree fern pot, both are doing excellent.